Menu

are all online schools created equal?

Due to current finances, and moving to remote town without a library, I am considering an online academy for a year. We have a homebase in two different states, and would have the option of enrolling in either state. Are all states the same when it comes to online academies? And do they all use k12 curriculum? It appears so, but I'm not sure.

Thanks!

The online public schools on K12 inc pages uses the K12 curriculum. However each state's virtual academy would have their own rules and regulations. For example, my kids are under the virtual academy and sits for the California state standardized tests just like other public school kids. We also do an official 180 days of school just like the public school here. My kids would also have to do the state's PE tests at 5th,7th and 9th grade.

The states I've lived in are all different. My current state now offers online/virtual public school academies using three different companies as sources for their curriculum: K12, Connections Academy, and Calvert Academy. A quick google of your state + online or virtual school should give you more answers.

Due to current finances, and moving to remote town without a library, I am considering an online academy for a year. We have a homebase in two different states, and would have the option of enrolling in either state. Are all states the same when it comes to online academies? And do they all use k12 curriculum? It appears so, but I'm not sure.

Thanks!

To clarify, you are thinking of enrolling your children in a public charter school/public virtual school (most virtual schools are charter schools). It's an important distinction, as there are other "on-line schools" which are private, i.e., you pay for them and follow the homeschool laws in your state: ABeka Academy and BJUP's Academy of Home Education can both be done on-line, for example.

Not having a library would not be a consideration for myself as to whether or not to homeschool. And I can put together a bunch of instructional materials for not much money. I'm not sure that putting up with state requirements, not to mention having to follow the school's scope and sequence instead of my own, would cause me to ponder long and hard before enrolling my dc in a public school program.

If you are talking about public cyber-charter schools, then the ones in my state use a wide variety of curricula, some of which are mainly online and some of which are more text-based. And as PPs have said, they will have different rules, different "extras", etc. etc. You really have to evaluate each one as a whole, and shop around. Your state Dept of Ed's web site should have a list of the schools.

Be careful about which state you choose for enrollment. These schools cost *thousands* of dollars at the local level, and you could go through quite a hassle if the district/state you enroll with decides you really should have enrolled in the other one. You might want to look at residency requirements closely in advance to avoid any problems.

Depending on the age of your dc, also do consider using a variety of low-cost materials to hs with. As an example, Librivox has free audio books, lower levels of math can be made up on the spot guided by general math standards, writing costs nothing, you'll be in a good place for nature study, and so on. Some areas do library-by-mail; perhaps look into that also.