Menu

Block scheduling history and science?

I'd like to get the hive's opinion on block scheduling history and science next year. We'll be using MOH 2 and Apologia Botany. If we do it this way, we'll be spending 22 weeks on history and 13 weeks on science. Is it "ok" to do this? Based on how this year has gone, I think it would work well for us to focus on one, finish it, then focus on the other. However, the thought of only spending 13 weeks out of a whole year on science, even though we'd cover the same amount of material, seems wrong somehow.

I think that's a great idea. It's not as if science is a "skill" that has to be done every day lest you lose what you gained. If you are covering the same amount of material it doesn't matter how you space it. There are even benifits to really really focusing on something for a while. I'd suggest botany for the Spring ;). What a great excuse to get outdoors a bit, and with History out of the way you have that much more time!

Our local schools do this at the elementary level, but they alternate subjects: 1st quarter-science, 2nd quarter-social studies, 3rd quarter-science, 4th quarter-social studies. It allows them to focus on one topic in depth. Then all of their school projects and any field trips are also related to the current subject. Alternating ensures that they don't go too long without studying either subject.

Our local schools do this at the elementary level, but they alternate subjects: 1st quarter-science, 2nd quarter-social studies, 3rd quarter-science, 4th quarter-social studies. It allows them to focus on one topic in depth. Then all of their school projects and any field trips are also related to the current subject. Alternating ensures that they don't go too long without studying either subject.

I could see this being a happy medium. I hate to admit I hadn't thought of doing it this way. I tend to be kind of an all-or-nothing personality. Thank you for suggesting it!

And thank you to all of you who gave me feedback (and support)!

I heard SWB speak last August and she discussed just this. At that time, she mentioned that one of her sons hated math and asked if he could just do the whole book at once and get it over with. I believe he did it for hours every day and got through it 2 months, I think, though it may have been 3. I think there were conditions like not falling back in other areas, etc. But anyway, ever since I heard that, I felt like it gave me permission to experiment. For that reason, we tried scheduling Math Monday (4 Saxon Maths in one day) and History Tuesday, Language Wed and Science Thurs. It failed abysmally which probably had a lot to do with 1) their lack of motivation to do that much math at once 2) their ages 3) it wasn't their idea and 4) waiting a whole week to pick up math again was bad for us. Nevertheless, my point is: Go for it! ;) You have permission to experiment. :)

My eighth grader wants to try something like this for the coming year. He wants to do math, Latin, and writing everyday. Then focus on one other subject until it is either done, our he just needs a break from it. He wants to knock out science and history this way so that he can focus on his interest in computer science/programming since it keeps getting put off in order to finish a long list of assignments each day. We are going to try it out in 8th so we will know if it works for him before jumping into high school.

This would probably not work for my 4th and 5th graders since they start to tune out things if we focus on them too long. The switching gears keeps them interested. But, I think they may get there with maturity.

I learn this way, and I think most adults do better with immersion in a few studies rather than touching on many. You may use the same materials, but when focusing on one thing at a time it can really sink in.