Menu

Orphan Fever: The Evangelical Movement's Adoption Obession

JumpyTheFrog

I think that there is a movement of some mothers who made the choice and regretted it later and now blame adoption and feel adoption should not exist which is, frankly, stupid, however, there is also a real issue with organizations (like Bethany) manipulating and forcing mothers into giving up their children and not allowing them to back out when they have second thoughts (before it takes place) and that should not be trivialized. I found the article I mentioned upthread but I think I will make a s/o thread to avoid derailing this discussion.

Just read this article you posted and totally disagree with it, having worked for Bethany. Won't repeat my entire response here, though...if anyone wants to read it, they can head over there to check it out. It's really not fair to demonize Christian adoption agencies as that article does...most that I know, including Bethany, are operating on a shoestring, paying their employees peanuts and doing major fundraising in order to provide services to ALL the birth moms that come through their doors, not just the ones they place. I'd certainly never say there is no corruption in adoption...I have certainly seen otherwise. It didn't happen during my days at Bethany, however.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, that is just the first link I came up with. There are plenty of others out there which cant be blamed on bitter birth moms.

I dont have an attitude about adoption. But the refusal to look hard at it is going to allow abuses like those described in the article in the OP to continue.

Oh wait... There isnt really an issue. Bc the article is just "bias".

You aren't listening. Everyone agrees there are issues that need to be addressed. The issues are continuously being addressed. Do you even know what safeguards are in place in each country? Adoption ethics is not a new concept, you know. There is room for improvement - everyone agrees with that. But it's important to support ethical adoption instead of talking like it doesn't and can't exist. Because if you take away the evil adoption industry, this does nothing to address the underlying need - to take care of kids who have been rejected by their communities. ... Did anyone else notice how, in the recently linked articles, complaints about abortion access (limits on) or pro-life agenda kept coming up? Is this really about making sure birth moms get to raise their kids? Kuz of course no woman was ever encouraged / coerced to have an abortion. ... In my long-term and in-depth research, I have learned that some large, influential international organizations have a policy to support abortions while limiting adoptions. Of course they would never be dumb enough to say those in the same breath, but that's one of the reasons ethical adoptions are becoming more and more difficult to complete, and kids pay the price. How many women are meanwhile being coerced to abort children they would prefer to bear / raise, I don't know. There certainly seems to be a disconnect in so-called ethics when it comes to children conceived in less-than-ideal circumstances.