Menu

Is Mr. Q's Physics too young for a 12yo?

It worked for us this year. The chapters cover all of the important physical science concepts in a Bill-Nye type presentation. It doesn't go particularly in depth, and I didn't find the labs that useful. A lot of prep for not much benefit, you know? But it clearly presents what is truly needed to know for a late-elementary physical science class. It's MUCH more than I ever learned about physics in elementary school. The tests would be easy for most kids IMO (mostly matching & crosswords) but my son has trouble with word recall, so I was glad they weren't harder. We had our dryer fixed today and understood what the guy was saying about solenoids and fuses.

We supplemented with some science kits (Thames & Cosmos Optical Science & Art, Snap Circuits, Engino Simple Machines) and videos (Eureka science videos, Bill Nye, NeoK12).

Oh, and I wouldn't really recommend it unless you have a tablet to read from. The iPad works wonderfully with it - we viewed it through Notability, and my son often did the worksheets on the iPad.

If it's in your budget, check out the Exploration Education Advanced. The kit comes with all the parts you need for activities and labs (except, I think, a low-temp glue gun) which the kids can do pretty independently.

For more budget-conscious, you might look at "Physics With Toys." The early edition uses general stuff; the second edition uses more K'Nex. I always recommend the Science Wiz kits (about $17/each)-- inventions, magnetism, and a few others that flow into the physics realm.

I have not yet used it, but the Thames and Kosmos Physics Workshop kit gets rave reviews and looks very cool.

Creek Edge Press has a set of physics task cards that will cover all topics, but you're going to have to do something about hands-on, such as the T&K or science wiz kits.

I need to cover physics with my 6th grader next year and am listening to the feedback here. I feel Mr Q is easy to skim and not absorb ( we're using chemistry right now).

Are you using the parent guide and labs?

Just curious, because I will have an 11YO doing chem for a second time in 2 years, and I had only briefly glanced at MrQ's advanced chem.

I am planning to use Mr. Q's Chemistry with my sixth grader next year. I think the review sheets are a bit on the easy side for her, but I feel that the information is pretty substantial. I went to a pretty good school, and Mr. Q covers concepts that I learned in eighth grade (and beyond that, actually). My DH is science-y, and he was impressed with Mr. Q. as well.

I am planning to use Mr. Q's Chemistry with my sixth grader next year. I think the review sheets are a bit on the easy side for her, but I feel that the information is pretty substantial. I went to a pretty good school, and Mr. Q covers concepts that I learned in eighth grade (and beyond that, actually). My DH is science-y, and he was impressed with Mr. Q. as well.

Are you using the regular Chemistry or the Advanced?

another option for physics for middle school is the new Life of Fred physics. I had my teen run through it - it went pretty quickly for him, and I didnt read it, but he says its a lot of math - which is really what physics should be imo

Are you using the parent guide and labs?

Just curious, because I will have an 11YO doing chem for a second time in 2 years, and I had only briefly glanced at MrQ's advanced chem.

I'm using the elementary level Chemistry for my 5th grader and am using the parent guide to ask her questions after she's read. We've done a few of the activities/experiments. I have had her read corresponding topics in the Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia and do little narrations on them. I'll admit it's not very in depth (the Mr. Q part), but along with the KSE it is good enough to wrap up the year.

I tried Mr. Q's regular Chemistry for my then 5th grader. We ended up ditching it. I thought the experiments weren't very good. Mr. Q very much follows a public school science class: read this text, fill out these worksheets (busy work), and then here's an experiment or two that may or may not really cement the lesson.

Here's a free middle school chemistry curriculum I thought was better. We used it and the elementary level version. It was almost information overload in the teacher's guide and I ended up feeling overwhelmed just by the teacher prep reading, which is why I'm going with RSO's chem for my younger son.

As far as physical science, I haven't tried this curriculum myself, but I have a friend who did and her son really enjoyed it. It's secular and hands-on.

• 4 weeks later...