Menu

Xpost: Kiselev's Geometry?

(Xposted with the high school board) I stumbled across this book via the Singaporemath.com website: Kiselev's Geometry. I'm liking Singapore DM for my DD but its geometry sections do not cover formal proofs. If I do decide to go ahead and have her complete a separate geometry course, I'd like it to be challenging enough to make it worth the time spent on it.

Is anybody familiar with the Kiselev series? How does it compare with the AOPS Intro to Geometry book?

It's an outstanding text and you can't go wrong with it. I can't compare it with AOPS, but it's the text I used at school. However, there are no solutions available as far as I know, which can be a deal breaker for many.

We considered it and the lack of solutions was the deal breaker for us. We chose to go with our tutor's suggestion to try Jurgensen instead and are following that up with Coxeter. I have heard only good things about Kiselev's books though, mostly from math-loving/ math-qualified parents.

ETA: Arcadia's sample link just reminded me of another reason we didn't use Kiselev...Jurgensen has a little more white space. :) It was important to DS at 9, but not as important now. So I second the suggestion to have your DD take a look at the presentation to help you decide.

Kiselyov math textbook is a typical example of math book ( middle/high school) when I was growing up. Answers were given at the end of the book and only for every 2-4 problems and no solution manual. We usually were given between 7-10 geometry assignments for homework and it might take us 2-4 hours to do just math alone.