Menu

Scripture Memory for 5/6-year-old

We are currently working through some ABC bible verses, similar to this http://www.icanteachmychild.com/2011/10/abc-printable-scripture-cards/ We just tape them up on the pantry door when we start a new one and review the old ones and say the newest every day, usually during lunch. My kids know the ones we've done so far really well. When we finish Z, I plan to start having them memorize short passages instead of individual verses. Hebrews 12:1-3, Philippians 4:8-9, Psalm 23, etc. We add a new verse about every other week. That pace is easy for us. I could speed them up and do a verse a week, but I'm not inclined to do so.

I highly recommend Psalm 1 or Psalm 100. It isnt a race with 5 & 6 and you'll be amazed at what they can do! The beattitudes (Matt 5:1-12) is a great selection too. My kiddos just learned Phil 2:1-18 and are working on Col 3:12-18 (Put on then ...)

I highly prefer longer passages and taking our time than individual verses.

I absolutely agree on longer passages when they're ready. We're "stretching our muscles" with our ABC verses, but then we'll be moving to passages. I taught 3rd grade at a Christian school and we memorized the entire first chapter of Genesis, Exodus 20: 1-17 (Ten Commandments), a good chunk of Romans 12, and all of Ephesians 3. We spent ~a quarter on each. It was customary at that school for each grade 1-6 to memorize their accompanying chapter of Ephesians and then at the last chapel of end of the year the grades stood up in turn and recited the entire book. It was amazing. I plan to get my kids there, but I'm in no rush. They're just 4 and 5.

Wow, impressive! I would like spend some time pondering what specific subject matter is fitting for my almost 6-year-old. For example: creation, who God is, Christian conduct, etc. When she was 3 and 4 we were memorizing very short verses that would mean something to her.

I prefer the longer passages for the kids as well. Single verses are often used out of context. My kids learn the larger pieces one or two verses at a time until we can put them all together. My youngest ds says his favorite is Psalms 23

This year we're working on character traits. For example if we're focusing on the character trait obedience I'll have her work on a verse about that (ie; Ephesian 6:1 on obeying parents, etc)

Character traits are going to be my focus for this year and for next I'm thinking of doing a study on the names of God and then focusing on memory verses in relation to that. God's Word is so powerful, deep and wonderful that sometimes I don't know where to start and I'd like to cover everything so then I end up going all over the place. I find I need some sort of structure/theme/direction to help us stay on track (that goes for me personally as well) otherwise I don't stay focused and I lose steam (It's a personality thing :laugh:

There are so many wonderful books/curriculum out there to help you here are some ideas:

Leading little one's to God

ABC Bible Versus (I think someone mentioned this one already)

There is also full packaged curriculum's that include scripture memory like Heart of Dakota, My Father's World, etc...

This year we're working on character traits. For example if we're focusing on the character trait obedience I'll have her work on a verse about that (ie; Ephesian 6:1 on obeying parents, etc)

Character traits are going to be my focus for this year and for next I'm thinking of doing a study on the names of God and then focusing on memory verses in relation to that. God's Word is so powerful, deep and wonderful that sometimes I don't know where to start and I'd like to cover everything so then I end up going all over the place. I find I need some sort of structure/theme/direction to help us stay on track (that goes for me personally as well) otherwise I don't stay focused and I lose steam (It's a personality thing :laugh:

There are so many wonderful books/curriculum out there to help you here are some ideas:

Leading little one's to God

ABC Bible Versus (I think someone mentioned this one already)

There is also full packaged curriculum's that include scripture memory like Heart of Dakota, My Father's World, etc...

Neat! Regarding character trait obedience, are you familiar with the ATI Operational Definition of 49 Character Qualities chart? There is a scripture or two for each character quality. I know there is a lot of negative talk about ATI, but I personally think the chart is great. If you google it you can print a PDF of the chart. Obviously, 49 traits is a lot, but it's a nice resource!

Bible Story Printables has some free printables called Bible verse visuals. We love them. They have coloring pages with pictoral clues along with the words. We choose a verse and recite it together once during breakfast and before bed each day. He also colors the pictures when he needs "busywork." I've been surprised by how quickly he is memorizing. We are storing the completed verses and pictures in a special 3-ring binder. The same website has single verses, a couple of longer passages, and uses some of the verses from Seeds of Worship so you can use music to aid the memorization as well.

Erin- I like the approach of a slower pace.

Ladydusk- Curious about why you prefer the longer passages. If it's doable I'm all for it.

I think the children (and the mommy) have a better understanding with greater context of the verse. I think having large storehouses of scripture in the memory and heart is wise for the future and for knowing Christ. The Bible was originally oral tales and songs, there's value in keeping big blocks together. I would prefer to have 12 verses memorized in sequence to 12 verses separated ... the arguments, the way the passages are built, the logic of them are sometimes as important as the things they have to say. Someday I hope that the children will want to take on memorizing whole books with me.

Not to hijack my own thread :), but do you use Charlotte Mason for other areas besides scripture memory?

I'll hijack your hijack. Yes! I use it for all of our memory work. We do almost all of our memory work during Circle Time.

Neat! Regarding character trait obedience, are you familiar with the ATI Operational Definition of 49 Character Qualities chart? There is a scripture or two for each character quality. I know there is a lot of negative talk about ATI, but I personally think the chart is great. If you google it you can print a PDF of the chart. Obviously, 49 traits is a lot, but it's a nice resource!

No, never heard of ATI. Will defintely look into it! Thanks for the resource. I actually just ordered and going to be using "For instruction in Righteousness from Doorpost.com. Looks super simple and easy to use/follow.

Bible Story Printables has some free printables called Bible verse visuals. We love them. They have coloring pages with pictoral clues along with the words. We choose a verse and recite it together once during breakfast and before bed each day. He also colors the pictures when he needs "busywork." I've been surprised by how quickly he is memorizing. We are storing the completed verses and pictures in a special 3-ring binder. The same website has single verses, a couple of longer passages, and uses some of the verses from Seeds of Worship so you can use music to aid the memorization as well.

This looks great..thanks for sharing. I like your idea of the 3-ring binder. Will have to remember that. I always struggle with finding a way to store memory versus, drawings, etc..

No, never heard of ATI. Will defintely look into it! Thanks for the resource. I actually just ordered and going to be using "For instruction in Righteousness from Doorpost.com. Looks super simple and easy to use/follow.

I read a book by the Duggars (19 Kids and Counting) and they referred to the Wisdom Booklets and the scripture chart from ATI- Advanced Training Institute. However, it seems the leader of the organization got into some trouble at some point... just a warning. So I do not associate myself with ATI or the Duggars per se.

I love the Foundations Verses from Children Desiring God. There are 75 or more of them so they could be your memory program for quite a while. There is also an app with the verses, the ability for the child to record themselves and check , game like quizzes, and a graphic for each verse. You can actually use them without buying anything by using the Fighter Verse web site.

Some of these are passages (Like Psalm 100, Psalm 1, Psalm 121 and the 10 commandments.) and other good basic verses.

I love Simply Charlotte Mason's Scripture Memory System. http://simplycharlot...vers/memorysys/

SCM has a pdf of Scripture Memory Cards for the box as well. http://simplycharlot...ry-verse-cards/

We use this, too. Such a great system. I choose my own passages, though I've consulted a handful of online resources for suggestions at times. We started out with mostly shorter ones but I've thrown in some longer passages as well. It's amazing how much a 2-year-old can memorize when given the opportunity!! I have a video of my then-2-year-old saying 1 Corinthians 13:4-6. Currently we're memorizing Psalm 145 (one of my favorites - it was read at our wedding), and I'm thinking I'll have them do the whole thing. We do our scripture memory at the breakfast table, btw. That insures that it always gets done, and it's a great way to focus our hearts on Jesus right at the beginning of the day. :-)

In case it's helpful, here's a list of some of the verses/passages in our box, in no particular order (I cut and pasted the list from an email I sent to my cousin, so I had already typed it out!):

John 3:16

Isaiah 53:6

1 John 1:9

1 Corinthians 13:4-6

Romans 3:23

Romans 6:23

John 15:12

1 John 4:19

1 John 4:7-10

Psalm 100 (all)

Psalm 119:11

Philippians 2:14

Psalm 107:1

John 8:12

Psalm 118:24

Colossians 3:20

Matthew 20:28

Matthew 22:37

1 John 3:16

Galatians 5:22-23

Ephesians 4:32

Colossians 1:13

Romans 3:20

Nehemiah 9:6

Psalm 95:6-7

Psalm 126:3

Psalm 145

I just wanted to second (third? fourth?) the Simply Charlotte Mason memory system. BUT, if you have small children around then BEWARE that it is not fun picking up a hundred or more note cards and figure out where they went in the box. After doing this twice I moved our system over to a binder with dividers (daily, odd/even, days of the week, and "rotating" instead of 1-30). It's much easier to flip the pages than worry about getting them all out of order!

As far as verse go, I mostly just picked ones I already know and started there. I also added verses that we have set to song on cd (Hide 'em In Your Heart, Seeds Family Worship, Jamie Soles, etc.).

The best money I ever spent was on a CD/DVD combo set called "Hide 'Em in Your Heart" scripture memory songs by Steve Green. My children used these so much, I've had to buy a new set! There's no easier way for a young child to learn scripture than through music! I would pop in the DVD each day after lunch for the kids to watch while I cleaned up the kitchen. They looked forward to this part of the day all morning! And then I would play the cd's during their quiet/nap times. The best part? Hearing my children singing the songs to themselves while playing or riding in the car! Priceless! :)

The best money I ever spent was on a CD/DVD combo set called "Hide 'Em in Your Heart" scripture memory songs by Steve Green. My children used these so much, I've had to buy a new set! There's no easier way for a young child to learn scripture than through music! I would pop in the DVD each day after lunch for the kids to watch while I cleaned up the kitchen. They looked forward to this part of the day all morning! And then I would play the cd's during their quiet/nap times. The best part? Hearing my children singing the songs to themselves while playing or riding in the car! Priceless! :)

Yes, these are awesome!! There's a Praise and Worship one, too. The Praise and Worship one is my favorite - I like the music so much I listen to it myself sometimes - LOL!

Guest go lower

For three years now, our family has committed an entire chapter of scripture to memory. The first year we worked on Exodus 20, last year - Romans 12 and this year we memorized Phillipians 2. We learned a verse each week and about once every six weeks, we reviewed up to that point for a week. It is amazing how just a few minutes each day is all that it requires to be able to commit that much to memory - even for my old brain! I found that our youngest (3 at the time) would mispronounce words often but we would help him along with that as we went along.

I didn't see memlok mentioned yet. I love it! I actually use the charlotte mason file system with it for my littles. The cards work really well. I also love to do it myself but instead of printing them off I memorize the verses using the program on the computer. It has different ways of helping you practice which are very helpful and also a way to log what you have done and what you may want to do in the future. I also like that it is very customizable.

I looked up a google search of best verses for kids to know, typed them up, added some cute graphics since my 6yo isn't a reader yet. I printed it off, and laminated it because I also have a 2 yo who likes to hold and "help" for school. I choose 1 of those that we read 1-2 times every day to start school and after a few days or weeks, they have it memorized. We've done a few this way, and I'm trying to figure out a routine that will work for us to review the ones he knows so he doesn't forget them.