Menu

Teaching Cursive

Does anyone have any suggestions for teaching cursive? My daughter is finishing 2nd grade and almost 8yrs old due to a late birthday. She wants to learn cursive so I want to help her learn this summer but have no idea on how to teach it or where to start. I think I may have a workbook on it but not sure if I still have it or not. Any particular curriculum you used and loved or hated? Why?

We love the printing handwriting without tears, it's actually the curiculum she used in K and 1 at school. However their cursive isn't the loopy cursive it's like a box type cursive that I'm not familiar enough with to feel comfortable teaching her how to use. A friend of mine suggested dry erase boards that have the letters on them to trace. I think I'm going to see what I find at some of our stores around the area today. I'm a visual person so I have to physically see something before I buy it my daughter is good with about any style but her favorite seems to be audio and/or hands on. For learning to write she watched a video and would go around singing the songs as she made the letters.

I guess I will be watching for what works for you then so I have an idea for us. I didn't realize it was a boxy cursive. :( Good luck. Audio/ hands on seems to work well here as well. I'm not sure we are audio visual as much as audio.... something I can't put my finger on.

I did find a workbook at the store today that we are going to attempt and I'm going to hunt down a website I found that demonstrates how to make each letter and I will post it here when I find it again. I'm hoping this will work and I think it will since dd is desperate to learn cursive and has been for 2years now but I made her wait so she didn't get confused at school as they aren't allowed to use cursive before 3rd grade.

We love the printing handwriting without tears, it's actually the curiculum she used in K and 1 at school. However their cursive isn't the loopy cursive it's like a box type cursive that I'm not familiar enough with to feel comfortable teaching her how to use. A friend of mine suggested dry erase boards that have the letters on them to trace. I think I'm going to see what I find at some of our stores around the area today. I'm a visual person so I have to physically see something before I buy it my daughter is good with about any style but her favorite seems to be audio and/or hands on. For learning to write she watched a video and would go around singing the songs as she made the letters.

What video was that?

What video was that?

I honestly can't remember what it was called. It was Mrs/Ms something learns/teaches the alphabet. It had a cute monster that came to school for the first time and they were teaching it the alphabet and along with the letters they taught sounds and how to write each letter. It's been about 4 or 5yrs though since we used it and I believe it was VHS.

You may want to take a look at Pentime. Rainbow Resource has it. I plan to use it next year. It looks like a great value and has several good reviews. I also like that the style of cursive closely matches D'nealian which is what my dd started learning while in ps. It seems to be working well so we will stick with it. I was happy to find a more affordable option than the workbook we used this year.

aww., because my daughter loves Princess Presto from super Why, and she loves singing nursery rhymes. She totally would have loved that. She's getting close. She traces letters and she wrote the letter E on her bedroom wall (first letter of her name).