Menu

Is Sylvan Learning Center a good side job for homeschooling moms?

Currently our kids are in PS. I'd like to bring them back home but I must work. I used to run a day care and homeschool but I no longer want to do that as I always felt pulled in too many directions during school time...hence why the kids are in PS this year. I am trying to come up with job options that are legitimate to help me bring in an income but flexible to work with homeschooling. Do any of you tutor through Sylvan and homeschool? Is it hard to balance? The closest center is about 40 minutes from me, so I'd be commuting which might negate the income I'd bring in anyway. What is the pay like? Any info at all would be appreciated.

I worked at one before children. It was ok work. They wanted certified teachers and paid roughly $10/hr if I remember right. This was 2007ish. I believe they may be franchises so pay will probably vary. I did have to sign a non compete. HOurs were after school and Saturdays so could conceivably work with homeschooling.

Thanks. Yeah I wondered if the pay would even be worth the commute. I do have a teaching degree...taught in an elementary school and currently substitute teach from K-12th grade. I have the credentials.... just wasn't sure it would be worth my time to look into it, esp with the cost of gas.

So about tutoring on my own...how does one go about starting that? How do you advertise?

The mums doing tutoring advertise in my neighborhood group mailing lists. Some of the libraries allow people to put up ads for personal tuition.

Put a resume on Sittercity.com.

We just interviewed a wonderful young woman to sit occasionally - she also tutors and works during the day as a second grade teacher. Her tutoring rate is $15 an hour (the same as her sitting rate for our three children)... and, frankly, she's selling herself short at $15 an hour for tutoring; we live in a low cost of living area, but a certified teacher as a tutor still runs every bit of $20 an hour.

Sittercity.com has sitters, nannies, caregivers, and tutors.

I worked at one before children. It was ok work. They wanted certified teachers and paid roughly $10/hr if I remember right. This was 2007ish. I believe they may be franchises so pay will probably vary. I did have to sign a non compete. HOurs were after school and Saturdays so could conceivably work with homeschooling.

It's not exactly fulfilling work, but that's about the wage I was making at a Dunkin Donuts a couple years before that. There were evening and weekend shifts available. 24 hour fastfood might not be as flexible, but places that aren't open late aren't terrible. They're also usually so used to crap employees that they're willing to be flexible for hard workers.

It's not the same as a career, or fulfilling as I said, but it might be an easy local option to consider. (Or not. I hope you won't be offended that I suggested it.)

Tutoring over skype might also be something to look into.

beaners I am not offended. I live in a very small town with only three fast food places. Also, my husband works an off shift so I have to be around for the kids in the morning and to get them to bed at a decent time. All factors that make it difficult but not impossible. I have considered pretty much anything but I really wanted flexibility if possible. Sittercity.com.... thanks! I will check it out!