Menu

ISO beautiful handwriting curriculum for 6th grader

trisharog

DD10 learned Getty Dubai (sp?) but wants to learn a much more ornate handwriting for everyday use. I looked at Spencerian writing but must you use a calligraphy pen to use that style? Any recommendations for a curriculum that will teach an ornate style? Maybe ornate is too strong of a word because we are seeking a style for everyday use but still a lovely style.

Thanks!

We use Spencerian with the Pilot Plumix: http://www.amazon.co...ds=pilot plumix

The pen is so easy to use and refill (which intimidated me for some reason), that you might as well get the most out of your work and use it. There's almost a meditation in the work and in the flow of ink.

I think the first page of our workbooks are done in pencil, it still works on developing nice stokes.

I don't know if my kids will ever want to take it to the next step and go to classes/seminars on calligraphy and Spencerian, but I believe it's greatly improved their Zaner-Bloser penmanship. :)

I highly recommend Spencerian. It's affordable, it's peaceful work, it's no-nonsense, and it can only improve your penmanship.

hth

It sounds like Spencerian is not something that one would learn to use everyday but rather for special writing . Am I correct? Any other ideas for a lovely , maybe slightly ornate handwriting curriculum that could be use for everyday use?

Spencerian improved my own cursive a lot! I really like how my cursive looks now. For my kids, though, I used Pentime. It's pretty and inexpensive. My only hesitation is the somewhat religious / authoritarian / patriotic / sappy tone. My kids have great handwriting though.

It sounds like Spencerian is not something that one would learn to use everyday but rather for special writing . Am I correct? Any other ideas for a lovely , maybe slightly ornate handwriting curriculum that could be use for everyday use?

*I* would use Spencerian every day. :-)

My 7th grader has been teaching herself Spencerian this year. She titles her assignment pages with the big, flowing Spencerian letters, but usually writes the assignment itself with regular cursive. Her regular cursive did get cleaner lines with the Spencerian practice. Those papers are written in pencil, though we did buy her a pretty fountain pen with a dragon on the cap for Christmas last year.

This is the only pretty one I'm familiar with though.

It sounds like Spencerian is not something that one would learn to use everyday but rather for special writing . Am I correct?

Incorrect, the Spencerian was specifically created for everyday use.

It does not however guarantee nice handwriting, mine is awful and I was brought up on Spencerian in school. (More adequately described as the leftovers from the Spencerian)

I believe however that a flexible nib fountain pen is absolutely necessary if you want to get Spencerian right. Noodlers pens are probably your best bet: http://peninkcillin....pen-review.html