Menu

What would you be willing to pay for this service?

Joyfullyblessed

Hello,

I am in need of a little helpful advice please. I have a friend who's child is having a birthday in just a few weeks. She would like for me to come and take candid (& a few posed) photos of the event, along with some individuals pictures of the birthday girl. I LOVE photography and she has seen some photos I have taken in the past. This frees her up to enjoy the party as well. :) Anyway, I would love to go and do this for her.

However, she has insisted on paying me for my time and service. I will also be editing the photos and getting them printed out for her, plus I may do a slideshow for her too. I have NO idea what to charge her because I was just going to do this to help her out. She is adamant though! Haha!

The party is going to be about 2 hours long and she wants me there the entire time. However, I am going to get there a bit early to get those special pictures of the birthday girl and her family.

My friend has also told me that she has another friend who may want me to do the same thing for her child's party in a couple of months. Wow! :)

Anyway, will someone please help me? I have no business sense and no idea what to charge my friend and possibly one of her friends.

Soooo... what would you pay for something like this? I am curious to hear. Thanks so much!!! Everyone have a great day! :)

I can tell you what a friend charges, who does this type of photo shoot for extra income: $125/hour and $150 for 20-30 edited digital shots. No prints; those are extra. (It's not expensive to have prints made from digital shots.)

ETA -- I fixed the charges above. It was actually a little less than what I'd originally wrote.

My dh charges $300-350 an hour for parties, rehearsal dinners, etc. That includes the flash drive of the pics, unedited. He has been in business for several years, though. You have to know how long it's going to take to edit, add that in and make sure you are getting paid what you want an hour. So if you want $100 an hour, and it's going to take you an hour to edit plus the two part hours, charge $300.

We had our family's pictures done by a woman with her own business. One hour photo shoot in outdoors, lots of time editing pics, we got a CD with I think about 30 images, some color, some black and white. I think it was $250. I do know that when she was just starting out her prices were a lot lower as she wanted to build her business and also knew that she was still learning a lot. I would think shooting mostly candids rather than portraits would mean a lower price, but providing the prints or a photo book or anything like that would mean a higher price.