Menu

Going to the Creation Museum in a couple weeks

I don't have stay recommendations, but there are a lot of hotels in the area because the museum is close to Cincinnati as well as the airport. It is in the country a bit, but within 10 or 15 minutes of a lot of settlement. The museum itself can take a few hours or all day if you want it to. If you are there on a high volume day, it will take longer. The planetarium shows are wonderful. Depending on when you go, the museum may have special speakers there that you'd like to listen to. If you have little kids, you will want to prioritize exhibits because it can make for a long day with young kids. The bookstore has a lot of material available. If you have special dietary needs, you need to bring food with you because the restaurants there are all right, but they don't offer a big selection for people with food allergies and such. There are no separate restaurants all that close by, meaning that you won't want to have to leave the museum in the middle of the day for a meal and then go back. It would not be practical.

Cincinnati has many, many other attractions, and I am sure you can find some in KY as well. Krohn Conservatory is one of the lower cost options in Cincinnati. I think it is free (or small donation), except when they have their butterfly exhibit. I believe the art museum is free.

The Cincinnati Museum Center is very nice. It has a Children's Museum, Natural History Museum, and History museum as well as an Omnimax Theater. They often have special little programs going on throughout the day. If your children have done a nature project this year, and you go to the Natural History museum, be sure to have them bring their projects (posters, reports). They have a trading post there where your kids an earn points to use for natural trinkets--everything from shark's teeth to deer antlers. In addition to showing off their nature projects for points, they also have a museum scavenger hunt for points, and your kids are welcome to bring in natural items to trade at the store. I am sure you can call the museum for more details on that.

The Freedom Center is another great museum about the Underground Railroad.

The metroparks in and around Cincinnati have tons of low cost or free things to do. Glenwood Gardens is a lot of fun with little or relatively young kids.

The Behringer-Crawford museum in Devou Park (KY side) is very nice as well. It features local history in addition to some natural history.

If you are really into archaeology and anthropology, you might check out Fort Ancient. It is not far off of 71, but it's a good 30 miles or so north of Cincinnati. It is not that expensive, and it is really, really nice. They have a room for school-aged kids to play, look, touch, lots of outdoor stuff, etc. It features a lot of history/archeology from the paleo-indian period and follows that to how Native American culture developed and how it changed with European exploration. Well worth your time.

I have yet to go, and I live in Cincinnati, so I am curious too. I have heard there are a couple exhibits in the Creation Museum that might be disturbing to young children. So, you might want to ask if you have little ones. Some friends with preschoolers said the petting zoo is fun.

BTW, plug for Cincinnati--the zoo is great here. It's worth seeing! The Museum Center (as someone mentioned) is great too. And, if you are up for a long weekend--the National Museum of the United States Air Force (about 1.5 hours north) is totally free and an awesome museum--you could spend days there. Lots of great history exhibits in addition to the aircraft you can see up close.

P.S. If you come to Cincinnati, get some ice cream at Graeter's. =)