Menu

NC Homeschoolers...

Are we required to turn in our test results and attendance records at the end of the year? I thought we just had to have them on file so they were there if we were asked for them. A fellow homeschooler at my DD's ballet class last night said that she was always told she had to turn in both at the end of every year (she has a middle schooler). This is my first year registered and testing, so I'd like to know for sure.

No, you aren't legally required to turn them in.

The confusion came about because the DNPE invites/requests homeschoolers to do so, and in the past they didn't always make it clear that it was simply a request and not a legal requirement. I've been homeschooling for seven years and have never turned in anything other than the original NOI and the yearly status update thingy (used to be a gray postcard, now it's done online in August/September). And I don't believe the status update thingy is legally required, although there's some debate over that.

I keep attendance records and standardized test scores on file and, if specifically requested by a DNPE official, then I would allow them to be inspected. That is ALL that's required under the N.C. General Statutes.

No, you aren't legally required to turn them in.

The confusion came about because the DNPE invites/requests homeschoolers to do so, and in the past they didn't always make it clear that it was simply a request and not a legal requirement. I've been homeschooling for seven years and have never turned in anything other than the original NOI and the yearly status update thingy (used to be a gray postcard, now it's done online in August/September). And I don't believe the status update thingy is legally required, although there's some debate over that.

I keep attendance records and standardized test scores on file and, if specifically requested by a DNPE official, then I would allow them to be inspected. That is ALL that's required under the N.C. General Statutes.

Thank you. This is what I thought as well, but really wanted to make sure before my DD completed her testing.

I don't believe the law allows for *attendance records* to be "inspected."

Of course, the whole idea of "attendance records" for homeschooled children is just silly. I mean, you get up every day and there they are. :lol:

I don't believe the law allows for *attendance records* to be "inspected."

See the second question here, and the cited sections of the N.C. General Statutes. Now one could certainly debate the actual meaning/intent of the statutes, but I'm willing to concede that the DNPE's viewpoint is probably valid.

And that question also deals with immunization records. I forgot to mention in my initial response that we're also required to maintain them (or a religious exemption). But again, none of these are required to be submitted each year.

What do you use to keep track of attendance?

There's an attendance form on the DNPE website. You don't have to use that though. It's just the months and days with boxes to check. You could easily make something like it yourself, but I just print off theirs bc it saves me time.

See the second question here, and the cited sections of the N.C. General Statutes. Now one could certainly debate the actual meaning/intent of the statutes, but I'm willing to concede that the DNPE's viewpoint is probably valid.

And that question also deals with immunization records. I forgot to mention in my initial response that we're also required to maintain them (or a religious exemption). But again, none of these are required to be submitted each year.

I'll concede the attendance records :-) but yeah, I'd be ready to debate the actual meaning, because they would debate if it were in their interest, KWIM?

Given the lack of more specific information about what makes a child present or absent, I'd probably print one like this from Donna Young, and I'd add a line at the top that said something like, "Children are present each school day unless otherwise indicated."

Children are never absent when you're homeschooling. If they're sick, you don't do school, so they aren't absent, because school isn't in session. If they're visiting the grandparents, they're not absent, because school isn't in session. If you're on vacation or taking a break, then they're not absent, because you're not doing school, because school isn't in session...

Ellie-that link takes me to the Donna Young homepage. Do you have a more direct link?

Curious. When *I* click on it, it takes me to the calendar. :confused1: I don't know how to make it more direct than that. o_0

Here it is again.

If you still get the home page, you can easily search for calendars.