Menu

Is there a DVD "teacher" I can get to accompany Singapore Math?

Khan Academy started putting up Singapore math videos on their site. I don't know what age you're looking for and I don't know how far they've gotten but you might check it out. The site is free to use. I will say that Singapore is a little more teacher intensive and if teaching math isn't your strong suit, you might want to choose a different curriculum. I'm not sure which because I don't have experience with any of the choices out there that have a video component.

Khan Academy started putting up Singapore math videos on their site. I don't know what age you're looking for and I don't know how far they've gotten but you might check it out.

FWIW, unless something has changed, there were some videos posted years ago but the project was not continued.

Do you have the Home Instructors Guide? It lays out the lessons/how to teach fairly clearly. What I do is teach all of the concepts for that week on Monday, and then assign my son the corresponding pages from the textbook/workbook that he workes on on his own throughout the week. And I help as needed. It makes it more bearable for me then having to teach every day. But I do wish there were DVDs!

I have the HIG and love teaching the material. My problem isn't that I can't teach Singapore (so far!), it's time constraints. I know many hs'ers have more children than I do, but with four students, I'm finding it difficult to do all the math and LA teaching each child needs. While planning for next year, it seemed like math might be a good subject to outsource.

Next year, my son will be using 4B/5A. I've seen the Khan videos, and they don't apply to us this year.

Thank you for the suggestion of teaching for the week, at all once. I will try that next week and see how it goes. That might be our answer!

I do similarly to a PP with Singapore; I seize a moment when we have plenty of time, and then I go over several lessons with my son at once. Then I just have him do the workbook exercises until he runs out of stuff we've gone over, or until he gets stuck. Now, he's only in Level 2 right now, so it's not terribly difficult math so far, and this may not work in the future.

I understand a large family and time constraints. Whether you outsource math or not would, I think, depend on the kid. I would not suggest that a non-mathy kid work Singapore on his/her own. My son seems to be pretty mathy and has gotten Singapore easily so far, but I would not have my less-mathy DD do Singapore on her own. However, she does pretty well working through Saxon, often on her own, because the explanations are more thorough. Actually, maybe "more thorough" isn't the right description; maybe it's just that the explanations are more in line with her way of thinking. I try to go over them with her, but if I don't have time, I hand her the book and tell her to ask me if she has questions. Often, she can figure it out on her own.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm checking in to each one. I knew I could find some great ideas here.

I hesitate to let my son figure stuff out on his own, because the info in the HIG is what makes Singapore such a great program.