Menu

What to wear the Core Barre Class

Danestress

I am going to a Core Barre class at our local Jewish Community Center, which has lots of classes and I would say is, on the whole, nonthreatening and casual. I only say this to clarify that some ladies exercise classes have lots of women dressed to the nines and are rather intimidating, but I don't get that "vibe" here. Of course, I have never actually attended a class, only seen them through the window, because I am VERY VERY intimidated by group exercise.

I do like to wear what is generally appropriate so that I won't stand out and demonstrate that I am a total newbie. I will be coming from a tennis lesson, and at that time will be wearing a little skirt with build in shorts that would be good for running or (of course) tennis. That and a t'shirt. Can I wear that, or should I bring something to change into that is more "yoga esque" - Ie yoga capris and a tshirt designed not to slide up when doing the downward facing dog?

I have never done Core Barre. And I am not ashamed to say that I am scared but planning to do it anyway. What should I expect?

I would think the tennis skort and t-shirt would be appropriate in that setting (adult, recreational), at least for the first class. Ideally the t-shirt would be more form-fitting (so the teacher can see what your body is doing), and would not show your belly when you bend over front, back, and side. Yoga gear might be a wee bit more appropriate, as it's more likely to be what other folks are wearing. At class, you can see what others are wearing and then go from there. Also - places like that are used to having folks call and ask what to wear before their first class, especially as far as footwear goes. I would worry more about what you will wear on your feet. Socks are too slippery for barre work (IMHO), sneakers are too klutzy. There are a variety of dance shoes that would work, but I wouldn't purchase anything without talking to the teacher first. (Because it's a JCC and not a dance studio, the front office folks may or may not have a clue about clothes *or* shoes, so try it out or talk to the teacher specifically before buying shoes.)

Everyone in that class has been in your shoes. This type of class is usually very welcoming of newcomers.

I would not wear a tennis skort to a barre class.

I would go with the yoga capris and the t-shirt.

I think you'll stand out like a sore thumb in a skort.

Ok! I can take another outfit to change into.

Do you wear shoes in a core barre class or go barefoot?

I don't have an answer to your question, so I am glad that there are people here who can help you! I have never heard of this type of class and am intrigued. I do love the thread title though, because every time I read it I see "Care Bear Class." It makes me want to find a cute Care Bear shirt to wear.