Menu

S/O relaxed morning, screen time, ect

UncleEJ

Right now DS 5.5 is doing a very relaxed and sort of sporadic Pre-K year. We shoot for 3 days a week but it doesn't always happen. Starting when he turns 6, I plan to start K and require 5 days a week of work consistently. I would also like to start rolling my DS 4 into the day around that time. I need to start working in a routine so this will all happen smoothly.

Right now, YDS wakes up between 6:45-7:15. He comes into my room and watching cartoons while I try to wake up ( I am not at all a morning person ). ODS wakes up later, usually about 7:30-8:30. He is not a morning person either and he needs a good 30-60 minutes to wake up and not be a total grump. I try to avoid waking him up if at all possible. So far what we have done is just watch tv for a while in the morning to wake up. But I am starting to realize that this isn't the best way for us to have a good day. Especially in the fall when the school day ramps up, I will want to start earlier.

So my main question is, if you have a child that requires a period of time to wake up, what do you have then do instead of tv watching? I haven't really tried anything else because tv has worked and they don't watch too much the rest of the day. He is not reading yet, so at least right now, reading a book isn't really an option. Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

We are NOT morning people either.

We use tv as a tool. We limit its time and content.

1) I wake dd6 by snuggling in bed with her and reading ONE story or chapter in the book we have been reading.

2) Then dd6 sits on the toilet. She can watch ONE 30-minute PBS Kids show if I am waking dd2. In the past, I have told her that she can watch tv once she has finished getting ready for the day. We have a TIVO, and it is a godsend!

Option 2:

1) I nurse the baby in bed. She just rolls over and goes back to sleep.

2) I wake dd6 as listed above. Then she is expected to sit on the toilet, dress, an comb her hair as independently as she can.

3) Poor little dd2 is awoken, wrapped in a blanket if she is uncooperative, and tossed in the stroller for a 20 minute walk around the neighborhood. We do stop at a play area for FIVE MINUTES on THE WAY BACK, because we have a lot to do.

4) The girls may or may not watch 30 minutes of ONE PBS Kids tv show while I prep breakfast and throw in laundry.

Note: Dd6 gets 30 minutes of free tv each day. It must be PBS Kids (or other educational dvds). If she wants more tv time, she must earn it through schoolwork. If she wants non-educational tv, she must hoard the tv time she earns for "when daddy comes home." If she can't manage her time....well, she can try again tomorrow.

A TIVO is a must. You do not need cable or satellite to own a DVR; just Google search for TIVO and see the deals available. TIVO makes it easy to limit kids' tv because it automatically turns off when the show is over.

We have been borrowing audio books from the library, and listening to them to break the bad screen time habits we developed while I was pregnant and newly postpartum. The transition hasn't quite been seamless, but the kids are getting used to playing and listening during our downtimes.

Before reading, which was long bec. ds was a late reader, there were audio books, looking at picture books including a children's illustrated science encyclopedia, doing art, or playing with toys for early AM. When weather permits, getting outdoors has been an excellent early option also.

I have girls who are grumpy when they wake and the fastest way to get them out of it is to take them outside and get their blood pumping. I also open all the blinds and put on some upbeat music and tell them to dance with me. This usually works pretty well, although I have been known to use the tv instead.

Mine wake up and have breakfast with Dh. I usually wake up last and spend an hour drinking my tea and checking email. Older ds will check sports stats on his iPod. Both boys usually play a quick game of catch in the yard or Legos if it's too cold. We used to start lessons by 9 but lately we've been ready a bit earlier and I've noticed the day is more productive if we start by 815-8:30.

My boys don't do well with screen time so we limit it to the weekends only and even then only after a full day of activity. They choose to play wii with their screen time. I do let oldest ds check sports stats and weather in the mornings but that doesn't seem to be a problem for him at all (not the way watching a show is for him).