Menu

Saxon 5/4 Giggle

PachiSusan

You know that I have been agonizing over the switch to Saxon and I wanted to thank you ladies for holding my hand, giving me advice, and kicking my bum as need be about making the decision and what level. I'm fully comfortable with it now and actually want to start it now instead of finishing the book we are doing now.

We are in a section on fractions and for the heck of it I looked up how Saxon taught it and how the math book we are using taught it and it was clear: Saxon was so much clearer on teaching the concept. I actually had an aha moment of my own! I didn't know the way they were teaching it, but once I got it, my jaw dropped.

I am not a math idiot - I did go all the way through college math, but I'm finding that how I was taught is not sufficient for Melissa and I have to show her many ways of doing things, not just one and she picks what makes sense.

You know how simple it is to reduce fractions? Well, Saxon showed me for the first time just how simple it really is!

So thanks...and I'm giggling at myself at my angst about the whole process!!

Heh, heh. I am becoming much more competent in math, reading and spelling as well. Actually, I already have learned/relearned more ancient history this year than I have ever learned in my life. I guess the smattering I learned in high school AP World History didn't stick. And, I didn't have to take it in college. I feel like that after my first round of the four-year cycle, I may be ready to try out for Jeopardy...kids week anyway. Hah!!

I looked up how Saxon taught it and how the math book we are using taught it and it was clear: Saxon was so much clearer on teaching the concept. I actually had an aha moment of my own! I didn't know the way they were teaching it, but once I got it, my jaw dropped. ... You know how simple it is to reduce fractions? Well, Saxon showed me for the first time just how simple it really is!

Hum, the sample of Saxon I saw was about reducing fractions, and it didn't make sense to me. I wonder what that says about me.