Menu

neuropsychologist v. psy. d?

If you wanted your child to be evaluated for a.d.d., capd, anxiety or learning disabilities (working memory issues), would you be more likely to take him or her to a neuropsychologist or a psy. d. practice group that does psychoeducational and psychological testing?

Also, keep in mind the child in question is very bright and good at masking symptoms. Receptive speech delays, SPD, and auditory processing/working memory delays were diagnosed in preschool but no testing has been done since...

We went to an Educational Psychologist, similar I think to what you're describing. She gave all the standard tests, based on what areas we wanted checked out. It wasn't cheap, but was incredibly helpful and she was an absolute treasure in suggesting curriculum, tips, activities, etc. so that we could continue homeschooling him and yet help him with all his learning challenges while living outside the US (we tested while in the US on vacation/our one trip per year). She also wrote up what accommodations she would make/suggest if we were sending him to public school, what learning aides/assistive technology she'd recommend, etc.

With the format of the tests, I don't think a child could very easily "fake it" well enough to deceive a tester for whom this is her livelihood; she/they spend all day everyday giving and interpreting these tests, ya know?

We saw an ed psych. Our ed psych will refer out for additional testing (e.g., we saw the SLP, COVD, OT, etc.). The neuropsych may or may not do that testing in-house, with the additional professionals possibly in the same office. The ed psych cannot prescribe meds

I think the key for you will be finding a psych or neuropsych who specializes in testing twice-exceptional (2e) kids. Where I am, the psychs who test for the local gifted schools tend to also do a lot of 2e. I would not see one who does not spend a great deal of time with gifted kids, as the subtest score analysis can get pretty tricky and can require a great deal of expertise to sort through. In addition, the tester's observations during testing can reveal a lot more if they are more familiar with 2e kids.

Thanks guys, after looking at the Wrightslaw website I think the neuropsych would probably be better. I don't know if I could find a 2E experienced doctor out here. We moved to a less populated area so I don't think it's as easy to find that sort of thing :( Does anyone know of a website that might help me locate one? I wouldn't mind driving if it helped.

Thanks guys, after looking at the Wrightslaw website I think the neuropsych would probably be better. I don't know if I could find a 2E experienced doctor out here. We moved to a less populated area so I don't think it's as easy to find that sort of thing :( Does anyone know of a website that might help me locate one? I wouldn't mind driving if it helped.

Try Hoagies http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/psychologists.htm#list

In trying to find that link, I also came across this article about assessment http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/assessing_gifted.htm

I posted this link before from the Wrightslaw website. It gives info on different types of evaluators/assessments. http://www.forums.we...es +evaluations

I really appreciate this link. Thank you! We meet with a psychologist next week and were told it would last about 2-3 hrs. Yikes! I'm glad to have this info as I'm now feeling somewhat informed to ask intelligent questions.

(Thanks, OP :grouphug: )