Menu

Buy another minivan? Or something else?

SebastianCat

I've had a Chrysler minivan for 8 1/2 years now. It's now 10 years old with 120K miles and we're shopping for a new vehicle rather than continuing to put more $$ into it. When we bought it, I had the double stroller in the back, needed the convenience of sliding doors with a toddler and a baby, and all of the other typical needs that a minivan could meet. Now that I'm looking at other options, I'm having a hard time finding something else that I like.

I originally thought I wanted the redesigned Ford Explorer, but when I test drove it I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. The 2nd row was cramped, the 3rd row was even more cramped, but driving it was OK, not "wow".

I've also driven the Ford Flex, which was nice to drive and had lots of room, but I really don't like the exterior look.

So then I test drove the Honda Odyssey and loved it. Everything about it screamed "comfort!" It has the room I want/need, and just felt comfortable to drive.

The problem is I've spent the last 2 years thinking and telling myself that I'm totally sick of driving a minivan and can't wait to NOT drive a minivan anymore. This will be a vehicle that I'll likely keep for 10 years, so my kids (who are about to turn 11 and 9) will be grown before I get a new vehicle.

I definitely want something with a 3rd row of seats because I carry cargo or extra kids at least 2-3 times per month. And the kids I will be carrying won't be getting any smaller. smile.gif

What to do? If you own a crossover/SUV/minivan with a 7-8 passenger capacity, what do you like about it, and what else should I look at?

I have an Odyssey and love it. Prior to that I had a Nissan Quest, which I did not love. I have been in a minivan for over 11 years. I am sick of being a minivan mom! My next vehicle will likely be something like a Honda Pilot. In your shoes, I would ditch the minivan. (Though, if you want one, the Odyssey is a good one.)

Love my Odyssey, and we'll probably always have a minivan. Nothing beats it for carrying stuff. I've driven an Explorer before and it was not very comfortable--drove like a truck instead of a car. Our first Odyssey is a 2000. Last year we needed to get a conversion van for our dd who is in a wheelchair and is now too big for me to transfer her easily. I was kind of depressed while car shopping because I just didn't like any of the conversion vans (Sienna, Chrysler). I wanted an Odyssey but was told they didn't have a rear-entry conversion (we didn't want a side-entry for the wheelchair because you can't always find a parking place). Luckily that information was wrong and when I found out there was a rear-entry Honda Odyssey conversion van, the decision was easy. They only have a manual ramp, not power, but it didn't matter. We easily convinced ourselves we wanted a manual ramp (less maintenance, cheaper) and we have our Odyssey. And we kept our 2000 Odyssey also. Probably not a lot of two-minivan families out there, but we figure it's good back-up transportation for our situation.

I have a Highlander which I absolutely adore; I've gad it for 4 years now. It seats all 5 of my children, but my kids are young (oldest is 10) and relatively small for their ages. The problem is now that we are a family of 7, there is little room left in our Highlander for anything but people. I dread the thought of driving a minivan, but I fear it is an inevitability!

If I could do it over, I would go with another minivan. We got a Pilot, which is fine for around town with 3 kids, but we are totally cramped on trips! I didn't realize how much cargo space I was losing! I miss my van! (I can't believe I feel that way now!)

I have four kids and I love :wub: my Honda Pilot. I really didn't want another mini van. I love the flexibility of the seats with the Pilot and even though my kids are 14, 12, 10, and 4 we don't feel cramped. That being said, we aren't big people. If we were tall and/or leggy we might not like it as much?

We got rid of our van (*ahem* I totaled our van) and we got a Suburban. But, we have 4 kids in carseats/boosters, so we need the 3rd row and the "trunk" space. My MIL has a Traverse and there's lots of room and handles more like a car. We can fit our family in there with her.