Menu

What to major in if interested in Physical Therapy

My middle son thinks Physical Therapy may be something he would like to consider. I've done a little research, and it's definitely a field where he would need a doctorate. I can't seem to find what you would major in at the undergraduate level. He wouldn't necessarily need to be a pre-med student, would he? I think that would intimidate him.

Any ideas?

My 17yo was considering physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy. She has crossed physical therapy off of her list because it requires a doctorate where the others can be done with an MS.

My dd is starting off as a neuroscience major because that sounded really interesting to her, but she is going to try out some courses in speech pathology as well and if she likes that better, then that's what she'll do for her BS. Then she'll need to decide whether to stick with speech or switch to OT for her MS.

What you need to look at is requirements to apply for physical therapy programs.

I found a great link that tells what most PT programs are requiring for admission:

http://www.ptcas.org/uploadedFiles/PTCASorg/Directory/Prerequisites/PTCASCoursePrereqsApplicants2012_13.pdf

Guest Momcor

Hi. I have a MPT degree which I received just before the switch all PT programs made to DPT's. I have not been working in the field in a few years, but I can tell you that the progression in Physical Therapy went from a bachelor's to a master's and now a doctorate. When I attended school, the PT program was 2 years long. At least at my school, the DPT is now 2 1/2 years. So really not that much more. I had an undergrad major in psychology with emphasis on "allied health" requirements, which were biology and other science pre-reqs. There really is no particular major required as long as you meet the pre-reqs, particularly science with labs. Hope this helps!

Great career! I would encourage him to read through the Prospective Student section of the American Physical Therapy Association website.

There is not one required undergraduate major as long as the student completes the prerequisites for PT school. Popular majors include biology, kinesiology, and exercise science. He should know PT grad school admissions are quite competitive and he needs to have really strong grades. He should also plan for time interning if possible. Volunteering with programs like therapeutic riding can also be really helpful.

I would also strongly encourage him to interview a physical therapist or shadow for a day while in high school.

I also have my MPT (and I continiue to work one day/week :001_smile: ). Your son can major in anything he wishes as long as he has the required courses for grad school. Most schools also require volunteer hours where the practice of physical therapy is observed. This is also a great way to start to think about the setting your son might want to practice in. He can check out local clinics. Most clincs are more than happy to have an extra set of hands around to do cleaning and help with non-clinical jobs (getting/putting equipment away). It will also allow you son to gain valuable insight into the working of a clinic. Also tell him to keep his grades up. Getting into PT school is very competitive! I have found it to be a very rewarding career, and the job outlook is excellent!!

My friend's son is in University of Sciences in Philly http://www.usciences.edu/ From what I can recall, this school's PT program is a 6-year program culminating in a DPT. The son opted to apply to schools with the 6-year program just so he wouldn't have to deal with applying to a DPT program after his first two years.

So this could be a possible option to look into. Then the classes are already tailored to go up to the DPT level.

The best undergrad. programs for PT preparation are kinesiology, exercise science or athletic training. You can major in any science related field and fulfill the required courses for grad school admission but that's not optimal imho. Check the grad. school requirements in your area; they can be different. http://www.apta.org/

Here are two top rated programs in the northeast:

http://ekin.education.uconn.edu/

http://www.umass.edu/sphhs/kinesiology

I would like to add that there were 70 people admitted to my graduate program. At least 35 of those were in their 40's or 50's and switching careers. They all had the prerequisite courses, but they came from a variety of backgrounds, including accounting, business, etc. We had MBAs and CPAs in our class. I went to Arcadia University near Philadelphia. At the time it was ranked #4 in the nation (currently #14 on US News list). All this to say, many schools like diversity.