Menu

DS is soon to be 9, in 3rd grade. We have finally found all the "right" curriculum for him and things are great, EXCEPT for math. We have been using Horizons since 1st grade, and I really like it, I think.

He is very smart. Understands concepts quickly, more than capable of doing the math, but, it. takes. for. ever. to get it done. He drags and drags and puts it off, stares at it, cleans his fingernails, etc. It NEVER gets done independently. I have to sit with him and even them I get irritated and have to say, "Ok, next. What is 7 x 7?" He answers right away, takes a gazillion years to actually write the answer down (!!!!) and then I have to ask him the next one. It. is. so. frustrating.

I don't understand WHY it takes him so long to do 2 pages of math (hours!!) when he understands it perfectly well!

So, has anyone else had this problem and figured out how to get past it? Is he bright and just bored? Is he just lazy? I just can't figure it out!

I'm starting to think, and DH thinks, that he needs more of a challenge and less of constant repetition. What math curriculums do you think would be good for him?

I'm going to 2 curriculum fairs in the next month, and I would like an idea of some stuff to look at.

Thank you bunches!! :)

There are differing opinions about Horizon. Mine is that it stresses rote learning, traditional algorithms, and "drill and kill" above conceptual understanding and exploration. In the second grade books, they put little boxes up in the corner so that kids are forced to "carry the one" etc.

IMO a stronger program would be Singapore or Right Start. On my blog I have a Singapore review here and a Right Start review here.

Good luck!

You could be right: he may be bored. Can you let him accelerate in your current program?

Have you seen Beast Academy? It might be a good fit; however, only the Gr. 3 program is completed, so your son may finish ahead of their publishing schedule.

Singapore (Standards Edition because the HIG is so good) along with the CWP could be another good choice.

I have to sit with him and even them I get irritated <snip>He answers right away, takes a gazillion years to actually write the answer down (!!!!) and then I have to ask him the next one. It. is. so. frustrating.
Having gone through this once and in the middle of it now, I think it may be just the age. Try not to let it affect your mood. Just know that for right now, you have to sit there and realign your child's focus. Simply accelerating the work might not be the answer (and it wasn't in our case). I think it just a matter of teaching habits. Welcome to parenting. One step forward, two steps in some other random direction. :)

LOF is once again, going to be teaching things (almost) always using the traditional algorithm. I'm not anti-traditional algorithms; I just think you need to teach kids to think first. This is called teaching math from a Constructivist perspective.

A resource you might like is a blog written by a homeschool mom called Let's Play Math. She also has an ebook out that I've read and really enjoyed.

The HIGs for the Singapore Standards Editions are very helpful. The U.S. Editions, not as much.

I would try Singapore Standards. Also, read "Knowing and Teaching Elementary Math" by Liping Ma.

I scribe for my son for 90% of his math. I scibed for my daughter up until 8 or 9 in math. It goes a lot quicker and easier when you write the answers for them. Eventually, they will be capable of writing their own answers.

I scribe for my son for 90% of his math. I scibed for my daughter up until 8 or 9 in math. It goes a lot quicker and easier when you write the answers for them. Eventually, they will be capable of writing their own answers.

Regardless of what you use, do it orally for awhile. Also, when he starts writing for himself, pen-pace him. Place the point of your pen where he needs to be writing to answer. As soon as he begins writing move your pen to the next answer space. If he stalls read the problem aloud and ask for the answer orally. If he is unable to figure out the answer, walk him through the problem. If it is simple and you know that he knows the answer and understands the concept, but is having a brain fog moment, tell him the answer and keep moving. These two things, oral work and pen-pacing, will help him learn the pace/ speed at which he should be moving through the problems. A child who doesn't grasp or care about time and has no peers around him to help him set a pace may need some guidance of this sort in order to learn how to pace himself.

HTH-

Mandy