Menu

Did WAAAAY too much this year...scaling back for next...comments?

We tested today and only have 3 weeks left :) One lesson learned from our 4th year....I can fall in love with TOO many good curriculums. What does this leave...multiple subjects half abandoned, plans for next year up in the area and too much money spent.

So, you ask, what all did you buy?

TOG Year 2, Units 1 & 2

WP Equine Science

RS Math Level C

LoF - Apples, Butterfiles, Cats, Dogs, Edgewood, Farming, Fractions & Decimals, Percents, Elementary Physics AND Pre-Algebra with Biology

MBTP - The Hobbit, Good Masters Sweet Ladies, The Prince & The Bard, The Greek Myths

SWR

Duke TIP - Growing Up Heroic

Lively Latin

Getting Started with Spanish

Etiquette Intermediate 2 (The Etiquette Factory)

Elemental Science Elementary Chemistry & Intermediate Biology

Writing Strands

Starting to get the picture....We actually USED all of these in some form or another except for the ones I did not BOLD above. So...now is the time of year when I start dreaming of "how we will do things better next year" and I begin the oh so challenging curriculum stalking. I am even going to the HEAV convention this year in June.

A few things I know...

7th Grade

We will continue with LoF for math

We will do writing with Johns Hopkins CTY (already put the $ in the budget) and fill in between classes with Writing Strands

We will do The Easy Spanish

We will continue with Etiquette Intermediate 2

We might continue with Elemental Science Intermediate Biology...notice I said might...if we have the money I would like to do science through CTY

4th/3rd Grade

We will continue with both LoF and RightStart Math

DS8 will do The Easy Spanish, DD9 will do The Easy French (her request)

We will continue with Etiquette Intermediate 2

-As much as I love TOG it is too much for us with all the other subjects we do. However, DS12 (who just scored 14.9 GE on reading fluency and >18.0 GE on passage comprehension) has really gotten into the historical readings so I do not want to drop that part.

-I remember what I loved and what I hated about MBTP. The literature is great!! The units are thorough. But the kids get bored after unit after unit.

-I cannot keep up with what I need to run a biology experiment and a chemistry experiment every week (I have a BS in Botany and a MS in Forestry, so science should be the easy part, ha!)

-The kids ADORE it when they all work together and when I read aloud to them.

-They have begged to return to SOTW (we were halfway thru 3 when we stopped last year). They miss the question sessions and liked coloring the silly pictures (even DS 12 admitted to that) and I miss the map work.

So....

History/LA

Do I go back to SOTW and supplement with the extra readings from the activity book and WTM AND pick up 3 or 4 MBTP units to use through the year

OR

Do I continue with TOG and just use the reading and vocabulary like we did the last part of this year and add in MCT?

OR

Do I try the Trail Guide to Learning Series

OR

Do I try some of the Memoria Press units...

Suggestions...comments....observations...complaints... :)

I would recommend returning to SOTW (with additional readings for your older one) since they all love it! Especially if they are retaining the material and it is easy for you to implement. We use TOG also, but SOTW has been sort of a "spine". I have now morphed into using SOTW along with MOH (which I already owned) with my LG level kids since they like the together time. They just seem to retain better from both author's writing style as opposed to the encylopedia style. I will say that TOG is awesome for the D/R levels!!

Regarding science, I too have a lot of trouble implementing the experiments. I even broke down and purchased the suped-up kit just to make my life easier but it hasn't helped. I am returning to Elemental Science (Chemistry) this year because it was simply the easiest for me to use and best year of science we have had so far. I will be also be adding their Sassafras Twins book - because my kids will love it!

Although I am totally comfortable with the material, I'm convinced that science will just be one of those subjects that we do outside the home as my kids get into high school.

you'll want to pick up Life of Fred Goldfish, Honey, Ice Cream, and Jelly Beans; Kidneys, Liver, and Mining can be skipped if your student is ready for Fractions at that point (but I'd probably get them just for the stories...).

BTDT on the too much curriculum. It took about 4 years of homeschooling before I learned to be realistic about what we'd really get done.

-I remember what I loved and what I hated about MBTP. The literature is great!! The units are thorough. But the kids get bored after unit after unit.

History/LA

Do I go back to SOTW and supplement with the extra readings from the activity book and WTM AND pick up 3 or 4 MBTP units to use through the year

I would NOT pick up 3-4 MBTP units. I would see what I already had & hadn't used (Good Masters, Sweet Ladies?) FIRST. I'd stick to ONE unit per semester.

Doing the SOTW option (with the extra reading for the one son who loves it) looks like a good option considering your detailed post.

You might want to make a sticky or four & put them all around your house (by the computer, in the school area, on your 'new planning book,' and on your bedroom mirror) that "I will not buy/plan too much this year."

Join a 12-step program? :lol:

I have the same problem, but I buy very little in the way of actual curriculum. I totally overbuy on living books and resources. The problem is we don't get to it all, and my DC don't pull the books off the shelves very often.

One thing that helps me is to keep a list of subjects and/or topics handy (and what I'm planning on using for each). It keeps me from impulsively buying multiple books on the same subject or topic. I also stick to the subjects and topics that are scheduled for the next year. The only problem is I do have to remember to check the list first!

[/size]

You might want to make a sticky or four & put them all around your house (by the computer, in the school area, on your 'new planning book,' and on your bedroom mirror) that "I will not buy/plan too much this year."

Join a 12-step program? :lol:

:) do 12-step programs exist for curriculum stalkers...if so, I need one...Curriculum Buyers Anonymous :)

Thanks, guys. I always freak out that there are things we won't cover and then realize that buying them doesn't mean we are covering them :)

Does anyone have any experience with Memoria Press units? My kids are OVER the middle ages so do not want to return to Good Masters Sweet Ladies but was instead thinking about maybe doing Charlotte's Web and Treasure Island and maybe one more....

I will be also be adding their Sassafras Twins book - because my kids will love it!

Although I am totally comfortable with the material, I'm convinced that science will just be one of those subjects that we do outside the home as my kids get into high school.

What comprehension level do you think is best for the sassafras twins books? I just looked at those...my kids retain SOOO much from Story of the World and Magic Tree House. I'm wondering if they would like these as well...

:) do 12-step programs exist for curriculum stalkers...if so, I need one...Curriculum Buyers Anonymous :)

Thanks, guys. I always freak out that there are things we won't cover and then realize that buying them doesn't mean we are covering them :)

Does anyone have any experience with Memoria Press units? My kids are OVER the middle ages so do not want to return to Good Masters Sweet Ladies but was instead thinking about maybe doing Charlotte's Web and Treasure Island and maybe one more....

My issue exactly! Buying does not equal doing!! lol Such a shame because I've purchased some wonderful things we haven't used - yet ;)

I'm looking at the MP guides too. I haven't yet decided if I even want a 'guide' though - I'm debating just discussing, using a Book Adventure quiz and maybe a basic 'book report' for my 9 and 11 year olds. My 13 yo will do a lit program but I haven't picked which one yet.

What comprehension level do you think is best for the sassafras twins books? I just looked at those...my kids retain SOOO much from Story of the World and Magic Tree House. I'm wondering if they would like these as well...

I'm not exactly sure of the reading level, but from the preview I saw on their site, it looks more suited for your 3/4 grade level to read alone. I was planning to read it aloud to incorporate my younger ones. (I also considered using the accompanying Logbook) From my understanding, there are more planned in the series, so it will be a continuing series. I just thought it would be a fun addition!

I agree that if your kids love SOTW, do that and beef it up with WTM logic-stage history instructions for your 7th grader. The 3rd ed. WTM talks about doing this - using SOTW for everyone, and adding the other assignments for the older kids. I also agree about dropping MBtP units since your kids burn out on them. You can still use extra books from TOG's list to augment this plan for kids that loved all the historical reading.

Over-scheduling is a tough habit to break. It's easy to stop buying, once you finally make yourself stop. But it's entirely different to get out of the "I chose ea. thing for a good reason which still needs to be fulfilled!" mentality. There are only so many hours in a day. There are only so many days in childhood. Doing schoolwork isn't a bad thing, but you have to ask yourself at some point what kind of homeschool you're creating and really weigh out priorities, making sure not to crowd out regular non-school time.