Menu

Secular Marine Biology?

Dd14 is planing on going to college to become a Marine Biologist. She has already taken Biology 1.

We are Christians, however I have been teaching secular science as it's her career track. She already has a very strong foundation in Marine Biology so I am looking for an advanced course for her 10th grade year. Any suggestions?

My son took Marine Science through Connections Academy last year as a junior. I was displeased with the materials offered and went in search of a solid college text as the few high school texts that there are seem to be poorly written. If your dd has a strong background in Marine Biology, I would still recommend taking chemistry and physics. I remembered in my search for a text that it was recommended that the student have a strong basic science foundation before specializing, a bit along the lines of this College Confidential post. Your dd can still indulge her love of Marine Biology by joining summer programs. I don't know what part of the country you are in, but we live on the West Coast and this weekend my youngest would be able to attend a day-long workshop at one of the university's marine lab.

It's just a thought.

Introduction to Marine Biology by Karlskint is a common college intro book at a handful of the top colleges for science.

If your dd has a strong background in Marine Biology, I would still recommend taking chemistry and physics.

:iagree:

"Q: What classes should you take to become a marine biologist?

A: Of course, lots of Biology; but you will also need a basic understanding of science in general (e.g. Chemistry and Physics) and mathematics (at least up to Calculus). Computer, technical/electrical, and typing skills would also be helpful" (link)

This is the course structure at UCSD (Scripps)

This is for UCB

but we live on the West Coast and this weekend my youngest would be able to attend a day-long workshop at one of the university's marine lab.

Nice :)

I would actually recommend taking chemistry and physics as formal courses while doing extra reading (not a course) in marine biology for fun and interest. There will be places on most university applications and she can indicate her extra reading there. She will then be well set-up to do a much stronger marine biology course as a senior.

My (very young) son is showing some interest in this direction, although it is much, much too early to know if this is something he will end up doing. As the University on our doorstep (almost literally - I can see one of the campuses and its buildings from my windows!) has a very strong Oceanography department I keep abreast of what goes on there. One of things they do with their undergraduates (first degree students, can't remember what this level is called in the USA, but straight after HS) is boat skills. Obviously in the UK it is much easier to access the coast than in the USA, but if you are near the coast some sailing and boat skills would be useful for someone wanting to follow a career in Marine Biology.

HTH

Emma x

Obviously in the UK it is much easier to access the coast than in the USA, but if you are near the coast some sailing and boat skills would be useful for someone wanting to follow a career in Marine Biology.

Scuba diving would be useful too if your son is interested.

Could get quite expensive though.... Yikes! :001_unsure:

I have friends working weekends as freelance scuba diving instructors as well as other freelance scuba diving jobs. Not sure how the salary/pay is like in the UK but found this for California. "The annual mean wage for a commercial diver in California is $76,500."

We are not near the coast, she was born in FL though. She plans to go to college in FL as well.

She is taking Chemistry via co-op next year but wants to do a full course of Marine bio at the same time. I like others, have had a hard time finding a course suited to her advanced skill level.

I would be so tempted to do a free-for-all exploration of the topic with a couple of research papers. There will be years for a full-blown study.

Want to be a Marine Biologist? These Books Will Help.

Popular Marine Biology Books.

How about a summer spent developing skills she'll need and making lifelong memories? Of course, she would have to live on a 46 foot sailing catamaran. Bummer. :D Be sure to have your dd check out some of the PowerPoint presentations on the Odyssey Explorations page

I would be so tempted to do a free-for-all exploration of the topic with a couple of research papers.

What do you think of Marine Biology by Peter Castro and Michael Huber? My boys are watching PBS The Shape of Life and I guess I need to hit the library again. Older is learning porifera and cnidaria now which means I have to hit the books.