Menu

How would I go about changing from a Classical Ed. to a project approach?

We've done WTM/CM type schooling over the last 8 years now with my eldest ds and while it has been a fair fit for him, over the last couple years we are finding more and more need to modify .

I want to prepare my son for his future. High school is just around the corner for him. He is very strong on the idea that he wants to do something in art. Or as a last resort a fiction author. He has several ideas and I could see him achieving those goals. He has the talent and creativity, but I want to guide him over the next few years. How can we better tailor his education to meet his unique goals?

At this time he has had some art instruction and some minor art history, but we've not gone deep into anything art. Even though we have books full of narrations, copywork, dictations and even a few essays and term papers, he says that he doesn't feel like he's accomplished much in his education. I think he has a fairly broad base now, and I know that I'll need to meet state requirements (Ohio), but I'm wondering if a more project based approach will work better for him. Maybe take projects in one month chunks studying Art History instead of World History? Is there something out there already, that might be a good fit for my son? I hate having to reinvent the wheel.

This year we finished Introductory Logic, Critical Thinking Series, Mindbenders Series, MUS Zeta (he begins Pre-Algebra tomorrow), Life of Fred Decimals & Percentages, Most of the suggested history reading, but his spine was History of US, MCT Voyage Series, Exploring Creation General, and The Story of American Painting. He has also read about 2/3s of the books on AO year 7 in a few sittings not dragged out over the year.

I know for sure next year that we will continue with MUS and Exploring Creation, but petty much everything else is up in the air. I want to nurture his desire to create not bog him down in things for the sake of "learning". I want instead for him to learn and want to learn. So can I give my son that creative outlet and still give him a high quality education? Sorry for the long ramble... I'm just groping around for answers... and hoping some of you might have some. Thanks.

Just a thought -- I have no experience with project-based approaches, nor with high school -- have you posted on the Ambleside boards about this? They will tend to, of course, emphasize sticking with AO, but you may find some helpful guidance there. I should think it would be worth a try.

Also look around Charlotte Mason Help, perhaps contact LindaFaye -- her children have gone in very artistic directions.

and: bump!

I am not a project educator, so take this fwiw. My kids do, however, often incorporate strong interests into their studies in one of 2 ways--incorporating across curriculum or independent studies.

For example, if I had a student with a strong passion for art, I would probably create a history course with an art history course to parallel our studies. For example, I would probably include some readings on specific artists (one that is an easy read and covers both Michelangelo and Da Vinci is "Wings of an Eagle; the story of Michelangelo" by Anne Merriman Peck, Frank Getlein & Dorothy Getlein.) Depending on his maturity level, Teaching Co has several excellent art history courses. Writing assignments can be pulled from any of the 3.......art history, specific artists, or art techniques.

Alternatively, I have worked with my students to design an independent study around an interest. We brainstorm ideas about what they want to learn, investigate resources, and plan a syllabus.

Don't know if that helps or not.