Menu

SAT and AP in same subject?

For Latin specifically, those are two very different exams. SAT II Latin contains lots of short questions on detailed points of grammar, derivatives, usage & language structure, along with a few glossed readings in prose and poetry. It fits well after a good Latin 3 level class. The AP Latin, on the other hand, is based on a specific body of literature, not so much picky grammar, & requires higher level reading, analysis and essay writing skills. Neither exam is easy.

My daughter took both the SAT II and the AP in Latin. Her college gave her exemption from their foreign language distribution requirement based on AP results. But, placement into further studies in Latin there is based on SAT II results! Kids who wish to take Latin & don't have a sufficient SAT II Latin score on record take a very similar placement test during orientation.

Some universities require a certain number of SAT subject tests for each applicant.

:iagree:

That's why my ds took both. Georgia Tech required three SAT 2's three years ago (the requirements have changed, but they still ask for "documentation of academic ability" in several subject areas and indicate that SAT 2's are one way of fulfilling that). My ds took the history SAT2 after a year of AP US History and the Math 2 and Chem SAT 2's after CC classes. That worked well for us. But lots of tests in the junior year. :ohmy:

For Latin specifically, those are two very different exams. SAT II Latin contains lots of short questions on detailed points of grammar, derivatives, usage & language structure, along with a few glossed readings in prose and poetry. It fits well after a good Latin 3 level class. The AP Latin, on the other hand, is based on a specific body of literature, not so much picky grammar, & requires higher level reading, analysis and essay writing skills. Neither exam is easy.

My daughter took both the SAT II and the AP in Latin. Her college gave her exemption from their foreign language distribution requirement based on AP results. But, placement into further studies in Latin there is based on SAT II results! Kids who wish to take Latin & don't have a sufficient SAT II Latin score on record take a very similar placement test during orientation.

Kathy, given this, would you recommend that students take the SAT II after Latin 3 and then go on and take the AP test the following year? or would you recommend taking both tests upon completion of AP Latin? We're finishing Latin 3 this month and trying to figure out a plan....

Kathy, given this, would you recommend that students take the SAT II after Latin 3 and then go on and take the AP test the following year? or would you recommend taking both tests upon completion of AP Latin? We're finishing Latin 3 this month and trying to figure out a plan....

I'd advise that she try writing the SAT II this year. I'm working with a Latin 3 student this year, and at the moment we're wrapping up the last of the new material (scansion). My plans for him are to spend the next two months consolidating his knowledge by prepping for the SAT II. We'll be reviewing grammar and practicing short sight readings using the REA prep book (the only choice specific to Latin SAT II that I know of) and readings from old NLE exams and from Excelability.

My daughter waited till her AP Latin year to write the SAT II, and in retrospect (she did well, but not as tippy top well as was usual for her) she wished that she'd taken it earlier when her grammar was fresher. AP Latin is a challenging enough year w/o having to add in more prep for the SAT II. The Latin SAT II also seems to be a bit variable in difficulty from administration to administration, and scores reported by kids we know aren't as predictable as they are with other SAT IIs.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the Latin SAT II is only given twice a year in June and December, so it's a little harder to work into the schedule. If your student wants a good score before college apps are in, you have to wrap it up by the end of junior year.