Menu

I need a career counselor. Know anyone qualified? ;).......

Joanne

But since I can't afford one, I'll ask you guys, again.

Yes, I've pondered this before - here. This is a new thread on a revisited topic. Some new considerations and info.

My kids are now 18(!!!), 16 and 14. That means I have limited time left on child support. It also means I have limited time on the "family" benefit portion of Adrian's social security disabililty.

So, I have a limited amount of time to close the gap in terms of my salary.

In addition, I have the complicating factor of stress related life effects (health issues), and qualitly of life issues, and the fact that I have hit a wall. I am literally working M-F from 7 am to 9:30 pm and Saturdays for 3 hours.

I also have a choice to make this fall, although it's possible the choice will be made for me. I have to continue a role at my kids' school for at least one more year, probably 2. Next year, that means mornings. If my current "main" job won't allow me to shift my schedule again, that will decide it for me. If they do allow it, I have a choice. The college where I teach offered me 3 afternoon classes in the Fall. If I accept that, I gain some TIME OFF (evenings, for the first time since a year or so after the divorce) but I am down approximately $500 a month. HOWEVER, I am taking the LMFT in May and can practice independently using that license, so it's possible I can make that up with much, much fewer hours than I am working now.

But none of that addresses the coming reduction in income as my children reach 18; that consideration brings me to my Ph D options. I need to build stability and "least amount of expense" future quickly. I need to have a paid for place to live for when I can't work anymore (There will not be a retirement for me). A Ph D gives me more options and earning power.

Most clinical psychology options are "out" with the possible exception of Fielding. They are APA accredited, on probation. Online or "hybrid" options are not respected in the field of psychology (yet?).

I also have some academic Ph D's. One option is Sam Houston's Ph D in counselor education. I am very likely to be accepted, but if I apply and get accepted, I don't *start* until 1.5 years! The same is true for any of the Rice psychology Ph Ds and Prairie View Clinical Adolescent Psych.

The option I am seriously considering now is Capella's Ph D in Addictions. It has the downside of being an online program and expensive. It has the advantages of being a Ph D, I can start now and finish about when my youngest is an adult.

Side note: Adrian is likely moving out by May, but we will remain married on paper.

Note: I will be using student loans. I am ok with that, and do not wish to discuss, debate or defend that, it is the best option using my very studied and researched data compared with my financial paradigm.

One of my dearest friends has her Masters in Social Work, and works for the county. She has started practicing on the side, just private pay, and has three or four clients. Is that something you could do? Forgive me for not understanding all the ins and outs. Do you really need the doctorate? I'm sure it opens doors, I just don't know about the pay differential. (I'm sorta just giving you a bump...and rambling as usual...lol)

She is doing this neat therapy which isn't really therapy as much as a technique--I wish I could remember the actual name of it. She took a training and now does it with clients (she did it with me, and it's amazingly helpful in dealing with trauma). She offers weekend one-on-one retreats using the technique and sees good progress (and there's follow up, too, of course). Would you like me to find out more for you? (Her backround is in substance abuse--she actually worked on the adult side of a resi facility where ds was in treatment as a teen, and now her county job is working with people waiting for resi treatment.)

School counselor? I don't know how that works with your current degrees but I do know that you don't need a PhD. Also, if you have ever thought of living abroad, school counselors are in HIGH demand and they make buckets of money (not at my school but at the big secular international schools). Think 50-70k or more per year, tax-free with benefits at the bigger schools. Even just doing that for a short bit would allow you to save a lot of money for your future. Just a thought...

Joanne,

Have you considered school counseling at all? I was a school counselor for many years. When I was going through the MA program, we had many MFWs coming back to get their school counseling degrees (some of their program already counted so they didn't have as much to complete) because of the hours. They said the hours as a licensed counselor were way too long.

School counseling is almost a different job in different states. Where I moved FROM (CA) we actually did a lot of counseling. Here in NC it is much more academic counseling, particularly at the high school levels. So, you would need to see what kind of counseling you would be doing where you live. I lead drug prevention groups, general counseling groups for students struggling with various issues, organized peer counseling groups, and did a lot of one on one counseling. And all this while receiving benefits and retirement.

It might be something to consider.

One of my dearest friends has her Masters in Social Work, and works for the county. She has started practicing on the side, just private pay, and has three or four clients. Is that something you could do? Forgive me for not understanding all the ins and outs. Do you really need the doctorate? I'm sure it opens doors, I just don't know about the pay differential. (I'm sorta just giving you a bump...and rambling as usual...lol)

She is doing this neat therapy which isn't really therapy as much as a technique--I wish I could remember the actual name of it. She took a training and now does it with clients (she did it with me, and it's amazingly helpful in dealing with trauma). She offers weekend one-on-one retreats using the technique and sees good progress (and there's follow up, too, of course). Would you like me to find out more for you? (Her backround is in substance abuse--she actually worked on the adult side of a resi facility where ds was in treatment as a teen, and now her county job is working with people waiting for resi treatment.)

Yes, building a private practice is in the works. Trauma interventions are profound. Your friend's specialty sounds great!

Joanne,

Have you considered school counseling at all? I was a school counselor for many years. When I was going through the MA program, we had many MFWs coming back to get their school counseling degrees (some of their program already counted so they didn't have as much to complete) because of the hours. They said the hours as a licensed counselor were way too long.

School counseling is almost a different job in different states. Where I moved FROM (CA) we actually did a lot of counseling. Here in NC it is much more academic counseling, particularly at the high school levels. So, you would need to see what kind of counseling you would be doing where you live. I lead drug prevention groups, general counseling groups for students struggling with various issues, organized peer counseling groups, and did a lot of one on one counseling. And all this while receiving benefits and retirement.

It might be something to consider.

School counselor? I don't know how that works with your current degrees but I do know that you don't need a PhD. Also, if you have ever thought of living abroad, school counselors are in HIGH demand and they make buckets of money (not at my school but at the big secular international schools). Think 50-70k or more per year, tax-free with benefits at the bigger schools. Even just doing that for a short bit would allow you to save a lot of money for your future. Just a thought...

I'm geographically anchored for another 2, probably 4, years.

I *am* a school counselor currently at my kids' school - to cover their tuition and, next year, a provide a bit of income.

I don't find the job role in a larger, public institution to be attractive. However, I have toyed with the idea of becoming an Educational Diagnostician.

It is such an interesting technique--perhaps you've heard of it? You do not need a license to practice it, only taking the proprietary training.

Basically, the client fills out a questionaire, and the answers are then ranked by the client as to "severity," sort of, and a determination is made as to what to cover in the session. Sessions last as long as needed--mine was about 2.5 hours. There are several different options then, but my df chose what to do. She then asked me a list of questions and allowed me to talk, not responding with anything other than a repeat of the question or an "ok." and the next question. I processed my feelings/experience of the death of my brother. It was truly, truly amazing. I know she's worked with folks who have horrible abuse traumas--I can't tell you how...well, amazing it was! lol--Anyway, perhaps it would be something to explore.

ETA-- Oh, it's called (something something) Trauma Reduction, I think. OH again--here it is, I think.

Before I read any of the replies I thought of a diagnostician. It would mean another masters, but that would be a faster way to stable work with good benefits and good hours. You could do on the side testing or psychotherapy. If you could be bilingual in Spanish, you would be gold in the Houston area. The diagnostician option has appealed to me in the past because the testing process interests me. I think the second masters might be a better investment even than the Ph.D, both short and long-term, given all of the variables. You have a good background for a diagnostician position. ETA: If someone forced me to choose another career path right now, I think it would likely be diagnostician or something in the medical field (ultrasound tech). I don't think I have R.N. school in me, but I could do the diagnostician masters. Also notable, I gave up on the hope of a Ph.D a long time ago so it is not on my radar.