Menu

How do you handle all of the questions?

So I've been trying to increase both the formal and informal science around here lately in response to a clear need from at least one of my daughters. And I'm beginning to wonder if they're both craving it.

But today's school science time posed a practical dilemma for me: what to do with all of the questions? I went in planning on focusing on life cycles and reproduction. Reproduction came up very quickly, and then in rapid-fire I got something like:

"So is that how we get new teeth? Are the teeth reproducing?"

"But rocks can't reproduce. So how come there are lots of rocks around? And if a volcano makes rocks, how do they get over here because we don't have volcanoes around here? But I've been experimenting with making rocks in the back yard, and those lumps are pretty hard, so maybe that's a way."

"You know, I've read that there are male and female plant parts. I want to understand that. Are there male and female plants? And the womb. What's that? Is that only for people? See, what I REALLY want is to learn all about our insides. I'm good with the outsides."

"And boys' insides, too. They're different. And foxes."

So I want to explore these questions with them. I really do. But practically ... how? I wrote the questions down and said we'll try to find out about them.

What do you do?

ETA: I think what I mean is ... do you drop the lesson plan and figure out how to explore the questions? Or do you continue with the lesson plan because you know it's in response to another question they've had?

If it's somethign I can answer briefly on the spot or I think can be quickly googled and answered in a few minutes, I try to, because sometimes it's a burning desire to know right then & less important to them later. For things that need more than a sort answer, I add them to my list. And it helps to have an actual list. I also try to encourage them to do the hunting for answers, so they don't end up thinking it's easier to ask mum than to think about it themselves or go & look it up.

All of which is so vague as to be not at all helpful! :leaving:

These kinds of questions are why I am glad I scored a set of World Book Encyclopedias at our library's annual book giveaway. My kids learn early on that if I cannot answer something off the top of my head, where to check to see if they can find the answer themselves.

My oldest likes to do online research to answer his questions. Also, we have an extensive home library so often I'll find a book on the topic and give it to Ds to read later to learn more. We do sometimes take side trips together. Sometimes oldest DS does the research and then instructs the youngers.

ETA: I think what I mean is ... do you drop the lesson plan and figure out how to explore the questions? Or do you continue with the lesson plan because you know it's in response to another question they've had?

It depends, but mostly no, I don't drop the plan. I think that kids need to learn to focus. Here is how I decide:

1) If it is related to the topic we are reading, then *after* we have finished the material, we will look up the answers to their questions together during 'science' time.

2) If it is unrelated, I encourage them to look up the answers later, and will help them if they are struggling. Research skills are important to develop.

3) If the book is unclear or has a clear gap, and their question must be answered for comprehension of the material at hand, then we stop and look it up.

Ruth in NZ

Thank you for the ideas!

I do like the idea of keeping a list of questions for us or them to look up outside of science time. Which brings me to my next question ...

I also try to encourage them to do the hunting for answers, so they don't end up thinking it's easier to ask mum than to think about it themselves or go & look it up.

These kinds of questions are why I am glad I scored a set of World Book Encyclopedias at our library's annual book giveaway. My kids learn early on that if I cannot answer something off the top of my head, where to check to see if they can find the answer themselves.

My oldest likes to do online research to answer his questions. Also, we have an extensive home library so often I'll find a book on the topic and give it to Ds to read later to learn more.

2) If it is unrelated, I encourage them to look up the answers later, and will help them if they are struggling. Research skills are important to develop.

I hear you on having my daughters look up some of this information themselves, and helping them if they struggle with that. What are your go-to science books to have on hand these purposes? We have a set of (slightly outdated) encyclopedias, plus a few science-specific encyclopedias, some for kids. Rarely do the kids' encyclopedias answer their questions, although they spark plenty!

And ... at what age do you start introducing them to online research? Their reading levels are very strong, but they are young and sensitive. Do you have a few sites that you have pre-selected for them to use?

That's a lot of questions ... sorry!

It depends, but mostly no, I don't drop the plan. I think that kids need to learn to focus. Here is how I decide:

1) If it is related to the topic we are reading, then *after* we have finished the material, we will look up the answers to their questions together during 'science' time.

3) If the book is unclear or has a clear gap, and their question must be answered for comprehension of the material at hand, then we stop and look it up.

Ruth, thank you for this clear set of criteria for assessing questions and determining how to respond. I think I'm going to print it off and keep it handy for our science classes. :001_smile:

And ... at what age do you start introducing them to online research? Their reading levels are very strong, but they are young and sensitive. Do you have a few sites that you have pre-selected for them to use?

That's a lot of questions ... sorry!

They've grown up nursing at the keyboard, so I don't have a specific age for that, unless you count 'when they're faster to get to the computer than I am' For science one of our go to sites was Happy Scientist, which is on special at HSBC this month. I think out loud when I'm doing searches so they can hear my reasoning as I narrow down which sites to click on - sites we've used before, academic sites, phrases in the description that sound like they answer our question at an appropriate level...