Menu

Is Saxon 5/4 teacher-dependent?

I need a more independent math program for my current 3rd grader. For K-3rd we have used A Beka with good success, even though my son is not a sit-down-and-work type. A Beka is very teacher-intensive, something I feel is necessary for the younger grades anyway. Every lesson begins with review time and lesson time with the teacher. And at least one side of the daily worksheet is done with the teacher. I've always taken my role as math educator seriously and have not (usually) begrudged the daily time it sometimes took to get through a lesson - or the extra time in the summer it took to get through the book.

However, I am due with baby #4 in September and I know I will not be able to dedicate as much time to teaching as I have been. Also, my son is growing more independent and showing signs of truly being capable of taking more charge of his learning.

I've looked into TT but I am not impressed with the Scope and Sequence. I am now looking at Saxon and getting mixed ideas from others about how teacher-dependent it is. How much time would I need to commit daily for a student of average math ability? My current third grader would probably test into Saxon 5/4 or 6/5.

Thanks for the help.

My 3rd grader is using 54 completely on her own. All I do is check her practice sets and give her the facts quizzes. We don't use the exams until 65. But she also does Singapore math and I spend time teaching that, so that may make a difference.

I don't find it to be too teacher dependent. The concepts are explained in the student's books, so they are able to read it themselves.

So you don't find yourself needed to reteach often? The explanations are good? And there is really nothing for me to do as a teacher except to check for correct answers and administer tests?

So you don't find yourself needed to reteach often? The explanations are good? And there is really nothing for me to do as a teacher except to check for correct answers and administer tests?

There are some occasions in which I have to reteach, but not many. We go over any missed problems on the day the lesson is completed, so that way it never piles up on me to have to reteach a lot of material, and also keeps my children from continuously working problems incorrectly.

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like Saxon would work for us then.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure how well I'll do with him being so independent with Math. I'm so used to leading review activities and introducing topics.

I suppose as I check his daily work I'll know whether he is "getting it" or not.

My ds has been using 5/4 this year. I would say the bulk of your work will be in prep. I printed out the facts tests and worksheets and had them spiral bounded. That took a lot of work, but now my ds can just grab his math spiral notebook and turn right to the next sheet. He does the math facts test and then I do sit with him and go over the mental math and problem solving exercise with him. (I'm not sure how a kid could do the mental math part without having someone orally giving them the problem and explaining the particular strategy?) Then we read through the lesson together and I work the first practice problems with him. Then he does the rest of the lesson on his own. I'm available for questions and help. Then his work is checked and we go over any missed together.

It only takes about 20 minutes of my time to do the first part of the lesson with him, and he works alone on the rest for about 20 minutes. I don't leave him to read the book and do the entire thing on his own. I honestly don't feel that Saxon was meant to be self-taught. (I have a hard time imagining any 4th grader self-teaching math.) I've heard Teaching Textbooks is sort of completely self-directed like that, but I have no experience with it.

One thing that helped me when I was homeschooling with a newborn is to sit and nurse the baby while I was doing a lesson. Also a Moby Wrap or some other type of carrier to keep the baby close and content while you work with another child for a few minutes. I also usually start doing an activity with my younger two so they have mommy time and are content to play while I have time with my oldest.

Both my kids worked pretty much independent. If they didn't understand a lesson, they would tell me and I would ask them to read the lesson out loud. Usually, as they were reading it, they would suddenly exclaim, "OHH, I get it now". Then head off to work the problems. Sometimes, my kids have to hear the lesson with their ears instead of see it with their eyes, so their brains can understand what is being taught.

I ditched the daily timed drills and opted for www.xtramath.org instead that saved me a lot of time in grading. Since both kids are doing the same math book, we talk through the Mental Math questions during breakfast. Once they have completed the Lesson Practice, I mark their work. Once all the questions are correct then they move onto Mixed Practice. If they miss more than one or two, I will work with them on a white board to go over the problems until they get it, this happens approx. once every 8-10 days. Usually, mistakes are because of sloppy work or rushed work not because they didn't understand the concept.

I have had three kids use Saxon 5/4. They all had different mathematical abilities, they are all different learners, and they all worked very independent. If your child is not accustomed to working independently then you will need to teach them how. My kids read the lesson and work the problems on their own with no help from me unless they don't understand something and ask. They complete the lesson, I circle any incorrect answers, and then they are supposed to correct their mistakes on their own. If they miss it a second time, we go through the problem together. This has taught them to think through their mistakes, reread the lesson if they need to, etc. I had one child want to use me as a crutch at first, but I simply didn't allow them. The explanations are clear in Saxon and, if prodded, almost any child should be able to work independently.

Thank you. These responses are really helpful. Even if my son needs some hand holding, it still seems there won't be as much time involvement needed from me on a daily basis as is currently expected with A Beka. This is what I need. As helpful as it has been to pull out flashcards, concept cards, posters, board work, etc. every day, I know I won't be able to keep all that organized next school year. And my son has always wanted to "just get on with the lesson". He is now capable of doing so without completely running over the lesson, so Saxon seems like a good idea.