Menu

Question on Seller Shipping Labels from eBay- Please Help!!!

4Kiddos

I recently made a purchase on eBay and the seller said that he would work with me to get a lower shipping rate as I didn't need expedited shipping. He wanted me to pay the $30 expedited shipping and he would refund me the difference. (This is how some other sellers have done it before and I have had no problems.) He said that he was new to eBay and so I looked up how much shipping would be on USPS.com for him and emailed him (about $15). When the package arrived, sure enough the shipping label said $15.30. I emailed him but never heard from him. I emailed again and now he is saying that it is eBay policy that when the shipping label is printed you pay half the cost of the shipping upfront and that is what is printed on the label. He says the total cost of the shipping was $30 and that he never said he would help me with lower shipping. I looked up eBay policy and didn't see that anywhere. Plus, every other package I have ever gotten from eBay has the exact amount I paid in shipping on the label. But, perhaps I am missing something. Can anyone inform me about this?

I am not an eBay seller, but I have used them to print shipping labels. Other than the 25 cents or so that seems mandatory for delivery confirmation, I pay exactly what is shown on the label. He is lying. But I suspect you know that already.

Terri

I don't know why the other guys did this but this kind of thing is a typical scam. As a matter of course, unless there is a legitimate rebate from a reliable company, never send more money than the total cost of an item plus shipping and any tax. It is good that at least he sent the item.

As far as I know, ebay doesn't have an official policy about shipping refunds. Did you communicate with him via ebay messages or via private email? I know they are pretty strict about sellers not charging really high shipping. If it was via ebay messages, I would try the "contact us" link for ebay. Explain that the shipping cost $15.30 (you did keep the label right???) and he had said he would refund the difference for shipping in the messages (they can see the ebay messages between you). See what they advise.

As far as the label, it shows exactly what he paid (including insurance, DC or the like). It always has for me and I print most my shipping labels from paypal all the time.

And next time, only pay exactly what you agree on for shipping. ebay sellers can charge a handling fee (so he may argue that side, unless you have messages from him to the opposite).