Menu

Math Program like BFSU

Is there a math program that is similar to BFSU? I afterschool so I don't need all the worksheets. I just want something that has hands-on math lessons that can proceed with the child's interest sort of like the flow chart in BFSU. If such a thing exists. My only idea so far is to do Saxon without the drill sheets and work pages, but the hands-on type lessons stop after 3rd. I'd like something that'll go to 8th if possible. :bigear:

Ooh, ooh! I think you are talking about Kitchen Table Math. They are kind of like the outline of a math program. They suggest a loose order of topics to cover and thoughtful ways to introduce each new idea. There are also sections in the back with games you can make or buy for reinforcing.

I must tell you that my dc are youngish, so I don't know if it will carry you all the way to 8th. Worth a look, though!

Kitchen Table Math has three volumes that will run you up through middle school. They are sorta like the BFSU threads, but they list all the math topics you should hit upon without delving into very detailed lesson plans. Following just this book, you'll have to get creative on your questioning strategies and the exploratory activities you do with each math topic, because "playing with nickels and dimes" just doesn't cut it.

If it's the structured teacher manual aspect of BFSU you like, I like Mathematics Made Meaningful by Quine. While I don't feel that his books are accurately aligned to each grade level (they build up fast and then peter out in difficulty in the upper grades) nor do they cover every topic in the state standards, they are great for creating weekly sit down math exploration sessions led by the parent, and they do an excellent job of setting up division and algebra from the early grades. Like the title says, the book's goal is to "make Math meaningful" in the same way that Dr. Nebel wants science to be in BFSU. Kitchen Table Math was also designed by a mathematician parent wanting to instill a love of math in his daughter, so that's why these books have a similar flavor to them.

I think Miquon Math is what I need here. Some of those the other programs look good, especially Kitchen Table Math, but I'm not looking to have a comprehensive curriculum as the boys go to school. I just want something that will get them thinking and using math from time to time. I basically want to give them a little boost mathematically and scientifically while focusing our after schooling hours on English and history.

I think Miquon Math is what I need here. Some of those the other programs look good, especially Kitchen Table Math, but I'm not looking to have a comprehensive curriculum as the boys go to school. I just want something that will get them thinking and using math from time to time. I basically want to give them a little boost mathematically and scientifically while focusing our after schooling hours on English and history.

If you like the looks of Miquon, Rosie has really brought it to life in her videos at Education Unboxed.