Menu

MULES---does anyone own/train/ride mules?

Ottakee

We are on the hunt for my 17dd a new trail horse. Given her special needs we need a very special horse for her---one that is a "babysitter" beginner friendly type.

Well, a lady emailed me about a mule she knows about for sale. This is a 14hh Appy molly mule. She is supposed to be late teens to 20 years old (and mules can easily go well into their 30s). Supposedly a good trail mule, has done parades, etc.

I am just looking for any and all ideas on what to look for in a MULE. I know what i want in a horse and I know it would be similar but I know that mules are different and I don't want to miss anything.

This one is a mere fraction of that price. She is 14hh and about 20 years old and supposedly a great trail mule. Friends of mine sing their praises as well............as long as they are a good mule. They said a good mule is priceless but a bad trail mule is worthless.

I do have a lady that knows mules and has experience with special needs kids 4H riding that is going to meet me there and help evaluate the mule.

Two ladies I know are mule enthusiasts. One grew up with them and the other bought a mule against her dh's wishes and now she says they all fight over who gets to ride the mule when they trail.

I've heard mules aren't really stubborn, they just won't do something they think is dangerous. Otoh, I watched some videos of Extreme Mules on youtube and they look pretty fearless to m.

Mules are highly intelligent. You can't force them to do anything they deem unnecessary or dangerous. I've met many of them on the trail and the people riding them love them. I've heard time and again that they are loyal and hardworking and don't forgive easily. Their training is different too.

No expert advice here, I just remember when I was active in the equestrian world there were some ladies who were very devoted to their (high end) mules. These animals were beautiful. Just as one could see the difference between fine riding horses just looking at their confirmation, one could see the same between riding mules and ones that looked like livestock.

Bill

I tried to post a picture but I can't figure out how to save it from the email in a form I can post here..........not very good at that sort of thing.

She is white with a few spots. She doesn't have the big mule ears and looks a bit more horse like than some mules.

Now I also have a mare that sounds really good who is 2 1/2 hours in the opposite direction from this mule who is 1 1/2 hours north.

My daughter really wants the mule as she thinks that would be really cool. The mule is a bit younger and mules tend to go longer than horses.....but might need shoes for gravel roads......but then the mare needs some senior feed. Likely will be a wash between them as to upkeep costs.

I tried to post a picture but I can't figure out how to save it from the email in a form I can post here..........not very good at that sort of thing.

She is white with a few spots. She doesn't have the big mule ears and looks a bit more horse like than some mules.

Now I also have a mare that sounds really good who is 2 1/2 hours in the opposite direction from this mule who is 1 1/2 hours north.

My daughter really wants the mule as she thinks that would be really cool. The mule is a bit younger and mules tend to go longer than horses.....but might need shoes for gravel roads......but then the mare needs some senior feed. Likely will be a wash between them as to upkeep costs.

Can you go ride the mule? That's what I'd do. Then, assuming the mule is sound, of it is a good riding mule and great on trails, it sounds like a great option. The ladies I mentioned earlier LOVED theirs—they never stopped the praises—expecially for trails. And they were hanging out with "the horsey set" here in Los Angeles, people with very fine horses (I can assure you!)

Over open ground with great footing and give me a Throughbread (or Warmblood, or Arabian, or Morgan) and I'd go equine every time. But as a trail horse? You probably end up with a quarter horse, and for trails I think I'd go for a nice riding mule anytime.

That's just me.

Bill

As to fencing, she is in stuff that doesn't look to sturdy---old wire fencing and is staying in but I will ask about that. I know my friend's donkey is a little Houdini.

I was thinking about being sure footed as wel. The trails we ride are pretty easy for the most part---gravel roads, groomed horse trails, etc. but we do go "off roading" meaning we follow deer trails and/or make our own way through---mostly level ground though--at times.

The 1/2 Arab we have is pretty sure footed. My paint is so so. He isn't the best but will go through just about anything I ask him to do and we take it slow so we are fine. Our pony was sure footed but is now having some vision issues so I try to keep her on the nice easy trails and we keep it to a walk.

Sarah's DREAM was a 17.2hh draft mule..............when I told her that he wouldn't fit in our trailer she just told me she would ride him home since he was road safe---and this was about 60 miles away. She doesn't mind critters of any size but I want to be comfortable with her on the critter as I am more of a beginning level rider and am always thinking of the "what ifs".