Menu

Critical Thinking Co. Opinons?

bnwhitaker

Are any of these books worth the money or time? Anyone love them?

We liked *some* of the Critical Thinking Press books and felt they were worthwhile -- esp. as I was able to buy several at a closeout sale or used. Usually we preferred the ones with more variety to them; otherwise, many seem like very expensive "one trick ponies" to us (such as Mindbenders). Of the Critical Thinking Press, we liked:

- Dr. Funster's Think-A-Minutes (gr. 3-6)

- Dr. Funster's Creative Thinking Puzzlers (gr. 3-6)

- Reading Detective (gr. 3-4)

- Think-A-Grams (gr. 7-12)

The Red Herring books were okay -- though some of the solutions seemed lame to us, and we often (at least to us!) came up with more clever or more plausible answers.

We used Critical Thinking Co. books where we couldn't find something similar (and less expensive) to substitute. (For example, there are a lot of free online or downloadable/printable grid logic puzzles that are just as good as Mindbenders; or the Perplexors series which has almost twice as many puzzles per book for a similar price as Mindbenders. Same thing with Word Winks, which had more puzzles for a much cheaper price than the similiar Think-A-Grams from Critical Thinking Press.)

Also, we liked incorporating a lot of games and critical thinking activities that just aren't covered by the Critical Thinking Co.

Just our experience! BEST of luck in finding what's a good fit for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

We have enjoyed many of them but definitely purchase through Rainbow Resource because the shipping is ridiculous. Things we have liked;

Think Analogies

Math Analogies

Balance Benders

Mind Benders

Editor-in-Chief

Inference Jones

Punctuation Puzzlers

World History Detective

Liked much we tried so far.

Mindbenders

Balance Math

Balance Benders

Critical Thinking

Mathematical Reasoning

Math Detective

Shipping is currently $4 special, and they have a money back guarantee through them that is twice as long as Rainbow's, and I think could be used if dissatisfied even if the item has been tried ????? rather than only if it is in perfect resale condition (not sure, you would need to ask to clarify).

Yes their shipping is AWFUL and I have found some retailers who offer a discount like "20% off all items" will have an exception posted for CTC items. So I don't know that you can EVER get a deal on them unless it's at a used curriculum sale or Goodwill.

We love Think-a-grams & Language Smarts. I agree with other posters who've said that some of the books seem to be all about mastering one task. We prefer the larger workbooks that have variety in them. Generally, these guys have a lock on the market in my opinion and some of their stuff is just plain worth the painful price!

I have Building Thinking Skills Primary and Mathematical Reasoning Level A. I bought it for my K'ers. My kids are not gifted or even "bright" and the books were beneath them. My, just turned, 3 yr old enjoys them so it wasn't a total waste...

I won't buy anymore CTC books without touching them first.

We've been mostly successful with CTC products. They have free shipping codes on their catalogs (if you spend over X amount of $$).

We have liked:

MindBenders

LanguageSmarts

Mathematical Reasoning

Math Analogies

Dr. DooRiddles

Can You Find Me?