Menu

Mathematics: A Human Endeavor

What age have you used this for? I have a 14 yo who is in Algebra I now and I'm not sure what to use with her next year. It looks like to text covers statistics and some geometry, and some algebra. Has anyone used this in high school. I was thinking we might use this next year and then go into geometry. What did you call the course on your transcript. Did you use the workbook also?

Thanks,

Karen

The gifted program I was in 25 years ago used this as a supplement for 5th and 6th grade. Not all of it, and not in depth, but as an introduction to selected topics. Assuming the current addition is similar I think it would be a great resource for a middle or high school student to go all the way through!

I had my older son go through this after he had finished Jacobs Algebra and before he started geometry because I was having trouble finding a geometry text I could live with. He was in 6th-7th grade at the time, and even though Algebra I is on his transcript from that era, I never thought about putting MHE on it.

After Jacobs Algebra, most of MHE was too easy. If I had it to do over again, and wanted to work MHE into the sequence, I probably would do it in the year before Algebra I, particularly if Algebra I was going to be Jacobs.

We did use the workbook because at the time my son was still not copying his own problems. Be warned that the workbook has extra problems in it.

My oldest went through most of MHE (for fun, I didn't assign it) as sort of a pre-algebra, overlapping with Singapore 6 and Jacobs' Algebra.

A friend of mine had her son use it in 12th, after finishing algebra 2. I believe they called it "Liberal Arts Math" or something similar.

We did use the workbook because at the time my son was still not copying his own problems. Be warned that the workbook has extra problems in it.

Thanks, I didn't know this!