Menu

Starting Latin in 7th Grade

DS wants to begin studying Latin in 7th grade. Neither one of us has any background in Latin, and he is already studying two modern languages (Danish and Greek). We study Danish with the fervor that some of you apply to Latin, and this won't change. But DS does a stellar job with his foreign languagestudy. I think he could handle some Latin without dropping the Greek if we make a realistic attempt / schedule.

Getting Started with Latin looks like a gentle introduction that isn't babyish. If I got it now, I could work ahead between now and next August. What do you think?

I think GSWL is a great choice for starting out. If he wants to get a bit more serious for 8th or 9th grade, Latin for the New Millenium is our favorite. It's a solid high school/college level course, but more manageable than Wheelock's for younger kids.

Hmm, Latin for the New Millenium is the text that one of my older boys used in high school. If that course could follow GSWL then then might make a sound plan. It is possible that this child will end up in that same high school.

I guess I can no longer ignore all of the Latin threads, like I had been doing... :glare:

You could easily do GSWL in two or three months - it's short and the lessons are brief (in the first half, it's easy to complete more than one lesson in a sitting, though we did it orally). Then start fresh in the fall with a high-school-level program. LNM looks very interesting.

It might be hard to stretch GSWL over a whole school year for a 7th grader. Some things are easier to remember if they are done every day rather than twice per week.