Menu

Apologia Zoo Order

Giraffe

Does Apologia Zoology have to be done in order (1, 2, 3)? I'd like to start with 3 and work backwards with DD as she is most interested in mammals right now, but didn't know if I'd be causing her confusion - if the books built on each other.

I tried to figure this out on Apologia's site but can't figure it out- the descriptions for the three books are essentially the same and there are no samples that I could find.

Thanks!

I started with Zoology 3 - simply because that is what my (then) 5th grader was interested in. Only after I ordered the book and started planning did I realize that there was any kind of order. I do believe that she recommends Zoology 1 before the others. However, I printed out the first chapter of Book 1, which covered some basic ideas (for instance, taxonomy). We had no problems at all. Well, at least until the end until it got a bit boring. If I had to do it again, I would have skipped (or at least zoomed through) at least the last chapter(s). The book just fizzled out and I would have preferred a more exciting way to end a great study.

I was afraid we would get tired of one type of animal as well, so we're using all 3 books simultaneously this year. We did the introductions to all 3 books, and from then on the kids have taken turns picking which animal we study next. It's worked out really well.

Before I bought them, I actually called Apologia to see what they recommended regarding order of the books, and the lady I spoke with said it really doesn't matter, other than the first chapter of the first book is a good introduction to the study of zoology overall. So they do recommend going over the first chapter of the first book. From there, it's up to you. (The entire first chapter of the first book is provided in the sample on their website.)

And other than occasional references along the lines of "If you studied Zoology 2, then you may remember...", there really is no need to study them in order.

Here is the page for the samples from the first book: http://shop.apologia.com/zoology-1/142-exploring-creation-with-zoology-1.html

Hope this helps.

I let my DC pick and we started with Zoo 2. I printed out the first chapter of Zoo 1 (it's the free sample on the Apologia website), but we didn't get around to it. :blush: I did briefly review the classification system when it came up. I'd just pick whichever they are most interested in!