Menu

purchasing LoF

kiwik

I would like to try one of the LoF elementary books.

The problem is, if I buy it locally it would cost me $45 for one book (inc p&p). If I try and order through amazon it tells me the product can't be shipped to my address and if I try the Stanley scmidt site I get a link to Z-twist books that doesn't work. If I try to access Z-twist directly I get a whole bunch of addresses that don't work.

Any ideas? Particularly those of you in New Zealand.

Thanks for reading.

Here in Australia I sometimes used http://www.adnilpress.com.au/Elementary-Series.php I dont know if they ship to NZ, but might be worth an email. A book would cost $37au delivered

If you are buying multiple books it's cheaper to get them from z-twist. Just checked their site, it's down for maintenance, but it is reliable, so maybe price there too.

Ah. It didn't tell me why it didn't work. I will try again in a few days. If there is not much price difference i will buy local but $45 is a bit steep for something that is US $16 even allowing for the exchange rate and postage.

Tell me about it!! Prices here are a rip off! I usually buy from amazon or book depository, but LOF isn't available directly from either. The shipping is better value on multiple books from local distributors, as shipping is often based on value i.e. books from $20- $100 same shipping. I bought the complete set from z-twist, and we love them! It was a lot cheaper than buying locally.

I just followed the links through to Z-twist and it says their site is down for maintenance until later tonight (US time) so I would try again tomorrow. I found them vey helpful. They even looked at different postage options for me to keep the price down. (I ordered from them twice, both times from NZ)

I have ordered all of our books so far through z-twist (elementary and intermediate series). Their customer service has been fantastic, and they even refunded me postage when it turned out to cost them less once. I'll be ordering through them again. (Also in NZ).

Hi Grover. What would you guys recommend for a child who is starting to object to being given addition facts for homework and is just starting multiplication?

What age is he/she and what are you using?

I love LOF elementary, but we are using it as a supplement. We use MM, beast quest, a few other things.

Have you tried TImes Attack, it's pretty good for math facts, there is a free version?

We also use some iPad apps for math facts, if you have an iPad?

I also love Right Start Math games for math facts.

He is six in two days and in year 2 (he is young for year but not accelerated). He is working on MM2b addition and subtraction at home and very easy stuff at school. He is highly gifted and needs something to extend him while not seeming like too much more work.

The plan is to finish the MM book I am on, then do place value 2 and start multiplication 1. I have maths adventure picture book for him and arithmetic village and a couple of the murderous maths books but I am looking for something in between in format and reading level.

Thanks.

Hi Grover. What would you guys recommend for a child who is starting to object to being given addition facts for homework and is just starting multiplication?

you mean LoF-wise? Start at Apples... really, you won't regret it.

In general... xtramath with bribes was our solution to that.

you mean LoF-wise? Start at Apples... really, you won't regret it.

In general... xtramath with bribes was our solution to that.

Totally agree, start with Apples. And reread them after you have gone through them all, reread, reread, reread, that's how mine learnt with them. Mine wouldn't retain without the rereading. Your child might, but be prepared.

Ok when I can scrape together the money I will buy the first three. I got through to z twist today and it is MUCH cheaper.

It's ridiculous isn't it? Why do they charge so much here? They could at least make shipping locally free.

Hope they go well for you, and keep in mind that the maths greatly increases in Dogs on, but Apples is the place to start!