Menu

How often do you have stuff spiral bound so that it will lay flat?

KristineIN

Never. I hate spiral bound text books. (Well, I don't really *hate* them, I just don't like them very much at all). :)

I like my SOTW activity guides to be three hole punched, so I can take out the pages sometimes (and put them back), and to more easily access the student pages. I had to have my Volume 4 cut and punched.

You didn't ask, but I'll say I don't like spiral books for several reasons. The pages tear out, you can't read the spine in the bookshelf, they don't stand up by themselves, they don't stack well on the table (spiral always sticking out), they don't work well in a book bag (always catching on other books and things), and they're too floppy.

To each his own, though. Some people love spiral books. I'm sure there are some people who wish all their books were spiral bound. It's just a matter of preference.

I get everything spiral bound as soon as I get it. Suzanne is right about not seeing the spine and they don't stand up on their own, but they are a cinch to copy out of. I, personally, find my pages rip out of 3 ring notebooks easier than spiral, but it could be the way I flip through them. Oh, I made the mistake of getting some things comb bound instead of spiral bound and did not like that at all. Lays flat but hard to copy. They are bulky.

I don't have any spiral bound, but I've started getting anything with reproducibles unbound and then 3-hole punch it and put it in a binder. I am SO picky about my books, it took some time for me to be comfortable doing this (to actually take a book apart :eek:) but after doing it to GTG and my SOTW AG, I've converted. It is so convenient - I can take one page to the library to look for recommended books, or I can take one page out to copy, or stick one page in my school box to refer to that day....

Office Max will unbind a book for about $1, and they do spiral binding but I'm not sure how much - you can sign up for their teachers reward card and get points for it too. I do the 3-hole myself so I can see that the holes aren't going to cut into the text anywhere.

This is my first year hsing....can someone tell me where you go to have things spiral bound and what is the average cost?

Thank you,

Alison

Office Depot cuts off the binding for free, even if you don't purchase anything else there. I sometimes punch 3 holes myself using their heavy duty 3-hole puncher. The spiral binding costs less than $3.

Also, I want to ad, if there are pages that need to be copied, I three whole punch those. These are either workbooks I have spiral bound to lay flat. Or part of the instructors guide that I can then open up and have it to the page that I need. I'd rather have it that way than one page that I can get all wrinkled up if I take it out of a three ring binder.

Kristine