Menu

Forgive me - another science question

naturally

Looking for a science that will let me combine my 4th and 1st graders next year, with a toddler too. DH and I are struggling to decide what we really want to cover. We haven't done a "real" curric yet for science. So today, we're discussing the options of fewer topics in a year vs. touching on more topics.

So what science courses out there will touch on more topics in a year? I think DH is thinking of introducing the boys to different things and then digging deeper. Instead of picking one and then being "stuck" on that all year. Make sense?

I'm not sure what you mean by topics and being stuck, but I try to combine my kids a bit. I'll use RSO Life for my rising 1st grader next. There's plenty of activities that will interest my then 3 year old as well. I think even my 10 year old will get involved in some of it. The book Creepy Crawlies is good for about the 5 to 12 year old set. My 10 year old will have his own science, but i bet even my little ones will be interested in his activities as well.

Things like nature study and activity books like Mudpies to Magnets are things all kids could enjoy.

You may like BFSU. I've looked at it and I believe that that your age span can work together in it. It covers more topics than just one science thread.

You could start with the Usborne Internet-Linked Science Encyclopedia and choose the different topics you want to teach and use the library for extra reading and experiment books, and add nature walks for biology or earth science hands-on experience. Keep a journal/notebook of everything learned by written narration for the oldest and you write narration for youngest. Draw pictures of their observations and experiments. Take pictures of experiments as well for memory keepsake.

Sorry I wasn't clearer. By topics, we mean how Apologia will study astronomy for the whole book/year. Or a biology course will touch on humans, animals, and plants.

DH is wondering (at least for today :001_cool: ) if there is anything out there that might touch on things like animals, physics, earth, stars, etc all in the same course. But for our family, going to the library and picking out books and then coming up with something to do just doesn't work. I've tried that and it just doesn't get done. I need things laid out for me.

Something like this may not exist but I thought if it did, someone here would know.

Of course, tomorrow we may be looking at something else. :glare:

I've been looking for the same kid of thing. After many weeks of the same thing I want to poke my eyes out. Trying to just pick a topic and find things to do with it drives me insane and isn't good for the detail oriented-ducks in a row - type a personality that I possess. Haha. I hope someone has a great idea! Only thing I've considered this far are Amanda Bennett's unit studies

Sorry I wasn't clearer. By topics, we mean how Apologia will study astronomy for the whole book/year. Or a biology course will touch on humans, animals, and plants.

DH is wondering (at least for today :001_cool: ) if there is anything out there that might touch on things like animals, physics, earth, stars, etc all in the same course. But for our family, going to the library and picking out books and then coming up with something to do just doesn't work. I've tried that and it just doesn't get done. I need things laid out for me.

Something like this may not exist but I thought if it did, someone here would know.

Of course, tomorrow we may be looking at something else. :glare:

BFSU would fit that description.

By "real" science curriculum, I'm not sure if you want something like a textbook to use as an open and go spine, but Galore Park's Junior Science might work great for the ages of your DC. They follow the British method of covering the major fields of science in increasing detail each year, instead of just one field per year. They are secular, though, and since you mentioned Apologia, I'm not sure if you'd prefer something Christian-based. You can often find Galore Park used on Amazon and there are teacher guides if you want them. In the past we used Galore Park's So You Really Want to Learn Science level 1 and I was really happy with it. I've also purchased level 2 of SYRWTLS to use later.

You could also add a few TOPS kits if you want hands-on lab activities. I think they are excellent and each one covers a range of ages. HTH!