Menu

s/o Easter baskets & first time celebrating with Catholic Church

Joker

I really wish we had the social groups so I could ask there but this will have to do (I actually have a lot of questions since this is our first Holy Week). I'm trying to figure something out that might be a neat addition to both dds' baskets that would relate to our new journey with Catholicism. It's all still really new to us but I would like to add something. They are 13 and almost 11 if that helps. I'm open to any ideas!

I have some that age. Mine are big readers, and they get a saint's book for pretty much every religious holiday LOL.

Also, I'm not a big fan of the audiobook thing but my kids were gifted a Matthew Kelly CD that they LOVED. Even my younger ones love it. He has several on his website, and we listen to it in the car. They request it, even. He's funny, doesn't dumb things down, and has a fabulous Aussie accent that is easy on the ears ;) His website is Dynamic Catholic (that link will take you straight to the "free" page - free is even better!) We have a few of his CDs, and the favorite is the Becoming the Best Version of Yourself CD. It's geared towards Confirmation age, but the message is appropriate for both of your kids. To sample his style, do a search for him on YouTube - I'm pretty sure he has videos there. You can sometimes find his CDs in local churches; all three of our nearest parishes have a CD stand in the narthex with his (and others') CDs available for donation.

Or, if you are game players here's a game to learn Saints' symbols from Illuminated Ink. It's like BINGO. It wasn't a huge hit here, but it does get played. Or a cord kit to make their own rosary.

Do you have a local Catholic store? Maybe a small icon or crucifix for their bedrooms ... or, a scapular if they'll wear one. We like Gregorian chant (not everyone does) so we have a collection of CDs to listen to while we take meals. Perhaps something as simple as a holy card, if you can find a special patron saint for each ... we do these in Christmas stockings.

How artistic are you?

You could start a tradition of giving them painted eggs. Each year, paint a new scene from the stations of the cross on a blown-out egg. They can hang them in the morning on a small branch. Over time, each child will have a complete set to share with their own children and mark the stations with them.

Time's getting short, but you can probably find scapulars and holy medals locally, along with rosary rings. They also might enjoy a good journal or more traditional candies like a lamb or fish (or soap, if you can find them). There are small books of saints that are fascinating, too.

A few other little possibilities:

Life of Jesus bracelet

Life of Mary bracelet

A simple pendant