Menu

Can anyone talk to me about Teaching Textbooks?

TT is a good program. We really like it. There is a temptation to be really hands of with math if you switch, so you would still need to monitor and check. My advice is to have them both do the placement test and then the online sample for their levels. My son did the sample and started leaping around begging me to get it. If they like it and want it, that makes a HUGE difference in math. Math went from tears and our least favorite subject to my sons favorite subject overnight. After a year I snuck in some supplements here and there, and he has done really well with them. We really like the TT and LOF combo we have going on here.

So, hopping for us was a huge success.

Do some searches and you will get a lot of the pros and cons of TT.

The pages in TT are just black and white pages with some text and problems to solve. But the heart of TT is its video teaching. My son did TT3 and is almost done with TT4. The lessons are animated, and there are study buddies who do things when you get answers correct.

TT saved us from crying over math and my son feeling stupid (we switched from Math Mammoth, which my daughter still uses). He has really enjoyed it, and he has learned a lot. He did, however, just inform me that when he gets done with TT4, he wants to go to a math book (an old Houghton Mifflin textbook I took out of the library for review/extra practice for my son). He's getting bored with the format of TT.

Tara

My youngest is using TT3. I've had some experience with the PreAlgebra and TT6 for my older kids. I think TT is great and my dd really loves it. It didn't work so good for my son (but what does?!)....but he did it really weird....almost like each lesson backwards. He'd get super frustrated when he'd get the answers wrong and there didn't seem to be enough of a new concept to cement it in his head (I'm trying Key To with him now). But, don't let that discourage you....it's working great for my dd and I work with her to make sure she's getting everything (so we don't fall into the problem we had with ds). Have your kids tried the samples?

We love TT. My dd12 hated math before TT. We have used 6th, 7th, and pre-algebra. Great for students that previously struggled with math. Teachers voice is pleasing and they always have a second opportunity if they get a question wrong. Often it was a careless mistake. Lessons always go back and review previous material as well.

There was just a super-long thread on this that devolved into blech, which is why people are avoiding your thread. Go look at the samples and go with your gut. I like TT the way I'm using it (from pre-algebra up and paired with another text as a check), but I also do standardized testing each year. There ARE issues with it, and some people are not happy. But the issues are totally obvious once you look at the samples. Make sure you do standardized testing and confirm their progress against outside standards.

And just as far as my personal opinion, I think math in the lower grades is best TAUGHT and taught with hands-on. There can be a really valid use for the lower levels of TT, but I'd pair them with hands-on instruction. I really like BJU's math program and RS. Your kids are beyond RS. To me, math is best taught.

We have used TT 5 and TT 6 and will be moving into Math 7 soon. My dd and I really like this math. We do pair it with Life of Fred (for fun) and we have continued math fact practice. I never leave her to just do it on her own though. I always sit with her while she does the lesson and help her if she needs it. Sometimes she needs reminders of certain steps, or additional teaching, etc. I don't let the program be a replacement for my teaching, just a really great aid to teaching math. HTH

Patti