Menu

Canadians! Ontario/Quebec people

NotSoObvious

We are thinking of going from Thunder Bay to Sudbury to Montreal and then into Maine.

Where should we camp for a few days along the way? Is there something along the way we shouldn't miss?

Time isn't really a problem, but we are trying not to spend a ton of money and we will have a dog, so a day at a museum is out.

What is the weather like up there in late August/early September? (Yes, I can google, but I like hearing it from the locals. :) )

THANKS!

Sleeping Giant or Kakabeka Falls in Thunder Bay for camping. There's a cool general store in Wawa I always stop into on the way through. If I was going to Sudbury I would stop in at Science North. I remember that being really cool when I was a kid. Then I'd stop in Ottawa and never leave.

here's something my brother did and loved:

In Cochrane Ontario you can swim with Polar Bears

Summer, 2012 - The Polar Bear Habitat & Heritage Village has a new polar bear named Ganuk for the 2012 season.

Cochrane, Ontario - Now, here's an experience that will astound your friends back home. At the Polar Bear Habitat and Heritage Village in Cochrane Ontario it has been possible for visitors to ' swim with their polar bears.' I recorded this video with Nanook, a 30 year-old polar bear, who unfortunately has since passed away. The new addition to the Habitat that's in residence this summer is a young bear named Ganuk and the swim opportunity is once again available. More details about him are available at their website. There's a wading pool beside the polar bear pool and while you are in it you are separated from the great white giants by a thick protective glass divider. Both children and adults can try it.The Habitat is open year-round, but the 'polar bear swim' is only available in the summer. Cochrane is also the birthplace of Tim Horton the hockey player who launched Canada's incredibly popular coffee / doughnut chain. The town is the departure point for the 300-kilometre (186-mile) Polar Bear Express rail journey, to Moosenee - at the edge of the arctic, near James Bay.