Menu

A long shot, but are you an ecologist, marine biologist, or some -ist that has studied coral reefs?

AlmiraGulch

My 10 year old is doing a huge, semester-long project at school. One of the components is a Multiple Intelligence piece where she can pick one of several things to do in support of this semester's study (SCUBA), and she picked the one where she has to interview several people who have some level of expertise on coral reefs.

Really, kid? I don't exactly know dozens of marine biologists or ecologists. I do know a malacologist (someone who studies mollusks), but when I asked him if he could help he said "I only do fresh water". :D

Anyway, if you or someone you know has some background with this and would be willing to answer a few questions on the phone or via email from my 10-year old, please throw me a bone.

Until I learn how to link here, this will have to do. I posted something a few months ago about Robert Ballard, an oceanographer who has a thing going, a really exciting website, please check it out on my content page. 2nd page of threads I've commented in. It was "NPR interview with Robert Ballard." Maybe this will help. Good luck!

Do you happen to live near a university that has a marine biology dept? An aquarium? I had a similar assignment to your dd's but it was in high school, I had to research, tour, and report back on the University of Miami's Seaquarium/Marine Biology dept. Since I was the only one that showed up for the tour I got to walk through places folks usually dont get to see and get to ask all sorts of questions. I didnt become a marine biologist, but consider myself a good amateur.

http://www.miamiseaquarium.com/AboutUs/History

Click the educational programs link. Maybe you can get a hold of someone that may help you.

My 10 year old is doing a huge, semester-long project at school. One of the components is a Multiple Intelligence piece where she can pick one of several things to do in support of this semester's study (SCUBA), and she picked the one where she has to interview several people who have some level of expertise on coral reefs.

Really, kid? I don't exactly know dozens of marine biologists or ecologists. I do know a malacologist (someone who studies mollusks), but when I asked him if he could help he said "I only do fresh water". :D

Anyway, if you or someone you know has some background with this and would be willing to answer a few questions on the phone or via email from my 10-year old, please throw me a bone.

How's it going? Did your 10yo have any success?