Menu

Latin fun for 5yo?

So, my 5yo is asking all of the right questions to cause me to consider beginning Latin now. I have no Latin knowledge so we will be learning together. Everything that I've seen so far lacks the ability to hold the attention of a child. Does anyone have a suggestion for fun, inexpensive (free would be excellent), and online Latin?

Thank you in advance!

www.headventureland.com has fun games and activities.

Song School Latin was a favorite for my DD at that age-it's by the same company that has the Headventureland website.

Mango Latin is free through some libraries. It's mostly translation. DD enjoys playing with it. I think it's boring, but maybe your DC won't.

If you can get Minimus the Mouse from your library or something like that, DD enjoyed both books at age 5-6.

Ultimately, though-with Latin you really do end up needing to move on to more "serious" materials pretty early in. Even things like Latin for Children or Lively Latin are pretty heavy going for a young DC, and can be a bit on the boring/tedious side.

Song School Latin is wonderful, and they just came out with a 2nd year as well! If your 5 y/o is already really good with English grammar (and of course reading & spelling), you can start Latin for Children (it's meant to be for 4th-6th grades, but we started it at 5 and finished it at 7. Intense toward the end, but for a language lover, it was the challenge we were looking for. I also have no prior Latin experience, btw.... it wasn't necessary.) You don't have to worry about motor skills if you decide to do LfC. You can do the worksheets and quizzes in the book orally, do the games on Headventureland, and watch the DVDs. The activity book is just extra practice, and because the crossword blanks are so tiny, we never used that book.

We've been doing SSL and just started doing Getting Started With Latin at the dinner table. Both my preschooler and K'er love Latin and ask to do it.

As for SSL2 coming out. Ack! I just bought Song School Greek because I was tired of waiting for SSL2.