Menu

Have books like Little House on the Prairie been rewritten?

tammyw

We have the original versions, but a friend told me, a while back, that they had been rewritten or altered in some ways. A google search is proving fruitless for me, but I wanted to discuss it with my daughter. I'm curious to be able to see what was changed. Did they alter the racism and such? While I don't love reading such things, nor would I want to read an altered version. It's an indication of the time they were written, and much, I think, can be learned and discussed from it. Just as I can't imagine someone rewriting To Kill A Mockingbird to make it more PC.

I don't know. I know they were considering it.

The Elsie Dinsmore books were rewritten if you want a good piece to compare. The originals are appalling, between how she was treated and how the slaves accept and like slavery under her. The re-released series was whitewashed to erase derogatory language (including dialect spoken by the slaves) and certain events. It is quite like reading from two different authors.

Wasn't the first book rewritten after being rejected by one or more publishers as book geared to adults? Perhaps that's what she means? I'm not aware that there have been any changes in the published works.

We have a brand new set and if they took out the racism they did a poor job, lol. It seems the same as when I was a kid anyhow. The pictures are in color though.

Ha. I have a color-picture version of Farmer Boy. I think some of them have new covers? I have mostly old ones from used book sales. I seem to periodically come across books that need to be edited. E Nesbit, this means you, with your n words.

I don't think they've been re-written. Maybe your friend was thinking of how they changed the covers? For example, from this 1971 edition to this 2007 edition.

Or, she could have been thinking of the easy readers/ prequels that rivendellmom mentioned? like this Little House on Rocky Ridge or The Adventures of Laura and Jack.

I can't imagine the publishers actually re-writing the Little House books?! Sacrilege!!