Menu

Elemental Science

mom2scouts

I've decided to use Elemental Science next year, but I have some questions. I will have an older first grader and a fifth grader. I was planning to use Physics Grammar Stage (recommended for 4th-5th grades) but will I be able to use some or most of it with my first grader? Should I start with one of the lower levels instead and adjust it up or down? Should I just get a lower level course for my first grader so that one might be doing biology and the other physics? It seems that my children are just far enough apart that combining them is always an issue. Maybe I should pick another curriculum for the first grader that will allow her to do physics too. Any suggestions from those who've used ES?

I'm doing ES Earth/Space with a 7 y/o and ES Physics with a 10y/o this year. The encyclopedias are very simple for Earth/Space, and more appropriate for my youngest's age level. The written narrations are shorter, and less is expected. My youngest hadn't done earth/space yet, and my older had. It would have been way too easy for my oldest to do Earth/Space because he had already covered that material in PS (this was his first year home.) The Usborne Science Encyclopedia used in Physics would be difficult for my little guy to read, and not fun to read aloud. You could adjust them, but I've found it was easy to do both. We do the 2 day schedule, so we alternate who is doing science each day. You could find books from the library for Physics for your younger though if you wanted to combine, and expect less writing. It is suggested for the first half of the year to write their oral narrations, and then I began letting him write 2 sentences for the second half. With that being said, I am thinking of possibly combining them in Chemistry next year because my older hasn't done it yet. I can add to it easier than I can subtract.

We have loved ES fwiw :) You can see on my blog (in my signature) if you want how it has played out in our week. I usually have pictures of our experiments towards the end of each week in review post. My kids love science. It is their favorite subject this year.

Are you set on doing physics next year? Just a thought, but you might want to also consider using the logic stage level of ES instead of the grammar stage. The encyclopedia spines used for logic stage are probably more appropriate for your soon to be 5th grader. The ES author includes tips in the logic stage TMs on how to incorporate or adjust the program for a younger sibling tagging along. Logic stage physics hasn't been released yet (scheduled for spring 2014), but earth/space and biology for logic stage are available, and chem for logic stage is scheduled for release this spring.

For us using Biology for the Logic stage with a 5th and a 3rd grader has not been very sucessful. Even using the author's guidelines and adjusted readings for my younger dd, she has not really got into the program or enjoyed it. We haven't tried Physics though - it might be easier to make engaging for a younger sibling.

I've decided to use Elemental Science next year, but I have some questions. I will have an older first grader and a fifth grader. I was planning to use Physics Grammar Stage (recommended for 4th-5th grades) but will I be able to use some or most of it with my first grader? Should I start with one of the lower levels instead and adjust it up or down? Should I just get a lower level course for my first grader so that one might be doing biology and the other physics? It seems that my children are just far enough apart that combining them is always an issue. Maybe I should pick another curriculum for the first grader that will allow her to do physics too. Any suggestions from those who've used ES?

I have not read any of the other responses but here's my story. I have a first grader and a fourth grader. We attempted to do chemistry but it been really difficult. I had only expected my first grader to listen in and participate with the experiments. She really struggled and really had no interest. She's not really a science person and her attention span tends to be very short. We are going to finish out the year with chemistry. Next year I am planning to do biology with both girls. There is a grammar stage and a logic stage curriculum and Paige (the author) explains how to combine them so they are studying the same things. I'm hoping that since the girls will be studying the same thing but at their own level that this coming year will go much smoother.

This discussion has been very helpful for me and has confirmed what I already was pretty sure of. I am considering using ES next year with my upcoming 6th, 3rd and K'er. I know it is suggested that you may combine younger children into the older's program, but my 3rd grader is not a good one for "tagging" along. He tends to zone out when things aren't on his level. His little K'er sister, however, will probably do great tagging along as she gets older, and I may be able to combine them in the future.

My current plan is to do Logic Stage Bio with the 6th grader, Grammar Stage Bio with the 3rd grader and Intro to Science with the K'er. I will either use the 2 day schedule and stagger the older 2, but I may use the 5 day for the 6th grader if it is independent enough. We'll see. :001_smile:

RuthAnn

We have loved ES fwiw :) You can see on my blog (in my signature) if you want how it has played out in our week. I usually have pictures of our experiments towards the end of each week in review post. My kids love science. It is their favorite subject this year.

My youngest LOVED looking at the videos you have up!

I've promised her a volacno next week over her spring break. She also wants to clean in the schoolroom so I can get to the k'nex kits buried in the closet back there.

SOOOOO, hey, thanks for the cleaning inspiration! :D

(and for sealing the deal that i'm going to buy ES Physics!)

Aww! I'm so happy that I could be of any help :) My boys have loved all those experiments and projects so much! The volcano still beats everything we did when I ask what has been their favorite. Now, maybe someone can post something to inspire me to do my laundry!

HA.

I did quit showing her the stuff so I could run over and start a load (my washer is broken). So, go do a load since you didn't have to drive to a friends to do it :D

And I think it is time to go swap it.... fun. Sorta. OK, not really. I'd rather make a volcano!