Menu

Has anyone tried any of these English courses?

I'm wondering if anyone has tried/used any of these English courses:

http://www.universalclass.com/i/course/writing-basics-101.htm

My youngest wants to do our highest level English class at our high school next year, but was not recommended for the course due to his current writing skills. Therefore, we're very actively looking for something he can do (probably online) to boost his skills. It needs to be happening over the summer (or even now). Upon talking with his current English teacher, he needs to work on grammar, sentence structure, and paragraph writing. He actually does well on SAT writing (the multiple choice) scoring in the top 90 percentiles, but he needs to be able to go from recognizing what is correct to writing in a correct form.

So, if others have suggestions, we're all ears. I looked at the Write at Home workshops, but those don't seem to have what we're looking for - they seem too specific - but maybe not?

I like the sound of the courses in the link - and the price is extremely reasonable - but I'd love to know if anyone has had experience with them to know if they are as good as they sound.

We don't have the time for a year long course since my guy is in ps and will have his 12th grade English in the fall. I'm looking for something over the summer. W@H workshops offered in the summer all seemed specific to one type of writing or SAT prep.

I've been reading through other threads and Writeguide looks perfect (a specific tutor for a month or two at just $75/month if I'm remembering correctly). I'm now definitely leaning that way over the original link I provided as I think a one on one would be perfect - a one on one that isn't me, that is. He'll work for someone else. :glare:

But yes, our guys appear to have the same issues. I'm glad to hear yours has improved his writing. It gives me hope!

My son has enrolled in one of the Universal Class writing class and loves it. He can go at his own pace, has an assigned teacher to ask questions and get timely answers, and graded assignments and essays. It eliminates the mom factor and therefore he receives an honest forthright opinion on his writing ability.

Since you are looking to accomplish certain objectives in a short length of time, I would search the forum for opinions about writeguide. Some people (or one person?) found it didn't move along very quickly.

If you go with WriteGuide then I suggest you set up a specific plan with written goals and deadlines. I do this and they stay on a pretty tight schedule without problems. That might not be the case if you leave things open ended, or up to the consultant to determine.

I send a list of assignments with deadlines each month with my first email, and then send rubrics for each assignment. I also have my DD start the assignment ahead of what I have sent the consultant so they aren't waiting around for her rough draft. We work one week ahead at home. As an example, in the last three weeks of March DD will do two brief literary essays and an approach paper.

If you go with WriteGuide then I suggest you set up a specific plan with written goals and deadlines. I do this and they stay on a pretty tight schedule without problems. That might not be the case if you leave things open ended, or up to the consultant to determine.

I send a list of assignments with deadlines each month with my first email, and then send rubrics for each assignment. I also have my DD start the assignment ahead of what I have sent the consultant so they aren't waiting around for her rough draft. We work one week ahead at home. As an example, in the last three weeks of March DD will do two brief literary essays and an approach paper.

I was just wondering if you could recommend tutors from WriteGuide. We tried them a few years ago, but it was hit or miss with the tutors. Do you have someone that you have been happy with?

TIA