Boy-girl twins fact poll

RegGuheert

Boy-Girl Twins  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Are boy-girl twins...

• Always identical
    • Always fraternal
    • Could be either

Would you like me to add an 'Other' option to the poll? (After all, I violated the cardinal rule of WTM polling!)
I'll take it you want me to edit the poll since you liked the post. I'll do it, but only if it won't erase everyone's votes. I know on other forums I visit editing a poll does that. Does anyone know if I can add another option without losing the results?

We have b/g twins and got this question when they were infants. I was shocked then. Our daughter (they're 30) now still gets surprised when people ask if they're identical. I chalk it up to another failure of public education. :glare:

I had a friend with b/g twins and people asked of they were identical ALL the time. She used to say, "yeah, except for the p*nis."

We have b/g twins and got this question when they were infants. I was shocked then. Our daughter (they're 30) now still gets surprised when people ask if they're identical. I chalk it up to another failure of public education. :glare:

perhaps this could be the oblivious people who assumed that my PINK LACY DRESSED babies were boys and my guy wearing blue and a ball cap was a girl. ???

This was always my feeling, as well.

But then our oldest grew up and went to college and took it upon himself to fact-check everything MomsintheGarden and I said. :glare:

The short of it is that since the term "fraternal twins" is synonymous with "dizygotic twins," the second option in this poll is NOT a correct response.

We can argue whether or not the third option is correct or not, but since "identical twins" is used to mean "monozygotic twins" in common parlance and monozygotic boy-girl twins have recently been identified, I will put forth that it is the most correct response.

It is also correct to say that monozygotic boy-girl twins are not genetically identical since there are chromosomal differences.

I saw on a TLC show where they made a case for b/g identical twins (if the egg splits at exactly the right moment...) but I don't consider different genitalia identical.

So, since the original cell has either XX or XY sex chromosomes, how exactly does the one of the embroys manage to gain/lose an X or Y chromosome if it splits "at the right time"? That makes no sense. What is the biology?

I was thinking it would be possible to have identical boy/girl twins if there was a catastrophic circumcision accident on b/b twins and there had to be surgery on one... but that's different. ;)

I saw on a TLC show where they made a case for b/g identical twins (if the egg splits at exactly the right moment...) but I don't consider different genitalia identical.
Nor do I. But neither do I define "identical twins" as two identical people. Contrary to popular belief, a person's structure is not fully defined by their genome. Environment plays a role in how they form, as well.
So, since the original cell has either XX or XY sex chromosomes, how exactly does the one of the embroys manage to gain/lose an X or Y chromosome if it splits "at the right time"? That makes no sense. What is the biology?
My understanding from reading is that there are two different mechanisms for this phenomenon to occur:

1) An egg containing X,X and Y chromosomes splits into one containing X and Y and another containing X and Y.

2) An egg contains X and Y chromosomes splits into two parts, each with X and Y, and then one of them loses their Y chromosome, becoming a girl with Turner's syndrome.