Menu

Need Help: Algebra for a 6th Grader

I'm asking here for a friend because I know the Hive can help her out.

This is her first year homeschooling her son. He is in 6th grade and advanced in math. Currently she is using TT Algebra with him, but he doesn't like it. He says they take way too long to explain something simple. He is also a visual learner, so whatever is suggested needs to have good illustrations or video teaching.

I've thought of Art of Problem Solving Pre-Algebra, but I'm not sure what all is out there since my oldest is only in 3rd.

Thanks so much!

Then have him read the lesson and do the problems on paper. No need to watch the TT lesson (which are VERY short compared to most programs).

What lesson is he on? The first 4 chapters are pre-algebra review. Have him take the first 4 chapter tests, and if he does well then go onto chapter 5 lessons.

Then have him read the lesson and do the problems on paper. No need to watch the TT lesson (which are VERY short compared to most programs).

What lesson is he on? The first 4 chapters are pre-algebra review. Have him take the first 4 chapter tests, and if he does well then go onto chapter 5 lessons.

I'll ask her about that. I don't use TT so I didn't know if there was instruction in the workbook or not.

Thanks!

We could find Zaccaro's Real World Algebra at the libraries and Barnes & Nobles here. Your friend might like her child to browse a copy first. My boys did not like any of Zaccaro's books, somehow its not their style.

Art of Problem Solving Prealgebra videos are fun to watch and learn from.

Their Algebra videos are here.

Your friend's son can also sign up for an Alcumus (AOPS) account for more pre-algebra and algebra practise.

DD said exactly the same thing about the TT Alg 1 lectures. She started muting the sound and just watching the lecture, then ended up just reading the lesson in the book and doing the problems on paper. When she was done. She would enter her answers into the computer program so I had the scores.

If they end up giving up on TT altogether, we have had great success using Saxon Alg 1. I also like very much Foerster's Algebra book (have it on my shelf!) and there are some great DVD lectures available for this by Chandler. Jacob's Algebra text Is sort of cutesy IMO but might be just the ticket for a visual kiddo.

Here is a link to some reviews that might help.

http://www.homeschoolmath.net/reviews/foerster_algebra_1_home_study_companion.php