Menu

Best condensed World Geography in 3 months?

We would like Cultural and Physical Geography.

We just don't have time for a large textbook, she is so behind in Glencoe, and we aren't fans anyway.

We also have the Usborne encyclopedia, but that seems too little, but better than nothing!

I just want them to have enough geographical literacy to begin high school work and to comprehend current world events.

Continent by continent organization preferred.

I would like to be done with this by June.

After reading replies I'm thinking of just this:

-Kingfisher World Geography from library

-Continent book series from library

-Globetrekker online epsidoes from their website's youtube channel

-Settera

-I typed up and printed out the K-6 Core Knowledge geography goals (from What your Child Needs to Know series, library) to make sure she has memorized by June

That is it. Sound like enough for basic literacy? Or would you add Challenging World Geography workbook to that still? We work 7:30-3, and she is is really full in evenings. I don't want to add too much...

We would like Cultural and Physical Geography.

We just don't have time for a large textbook, she is so behind in Glencoe and we aren't fans anyway.

We also have the Usborne encyclopedia, but that seems too little, but better than nothing!

I just want them to have enough geographical literacy to begin high school work and to comprehend current world events.

Single book titles, workbooks or video ideas welcome. Continent by continent organization preferred.

I would like to be done with this by June.

What about this? The sample looks like they look up answers in reference books to fill out the worksheets. That does NOT appeal to us! I'm look for open and go. :)

http://www.amazon.co...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

That looks good for us for next year. My son loves workbooks.

What about this? The sample looks like they look up answers in reference books to fill out the worksheets. That does NOT appeal to us! I'm look for open and go. :)

http://www.amazon.co...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

We have that book and have enjoyed it! Also sheppardsoftware has great free fun games. Dd has really expanded her knowledge quickly using it. Ds doesn't care for it. Honestly probably because dd got there first and memory work is super easy for her so he would have a rough time catching up.

I am assuming that you are talking about the 9th grade abeka world geography course. We just bought it. It is organised by regions but finishing it in 3 months....not sure how without devoting a great deal of time. Not sure if it will stick going that quick. I am planning a leisurely trip through it. I have picked up a college level cultural geography text to supplement with. Also a book called "Maps of the World" by Emerald Books which I plan to use for intensive review as we go. This time it will stick. This is going to be a full year high school credit for both dc's.

I started thinking somewhat along the lines you are. Went with abeka instead of bob jones because it looked more open and shut. When I saw it I knew it deserved more time. Then the other resources kept appearing.

I hope this helps in some way. If I wanted to fit as much as possible in by June I would go with sheppard online and get some good outline maps for quizzes. Probably the most efficient. Culteral maybe some read alouds from the SL list-- used to be level 5 now e or f. Not sure of the new system.

We love the BBC Atlas of the Natural World -- we watched Land of the Eagle about North America and found it stunning, both visually and intellectually. The videos start with the land as it was before Europeans came and then trace the history and people's impact on the land. The whole series is available through Netflix (dvd, not streaming). It was a good way to look at the five themes of geography -- as the videos encompass physical geography, impact of humans, migration, etc.

I would also make sure that your dc have basics like latitude/longitude down cold. And take them to middle school level -- for example, knowing that Earth's magnetic field moves, that tropics of Cancer/Capricorn move from year to year, that sort of thing. Biomes. Maps with climates, languages, religions of the world, natural resources. It doesn't take too long to get a quick overview if you have a good atlas.

If you are looking for a good iPad app, check out the website for Atlas by Collins. It's a cut above most other atlas apps, imo.

Oh, and seconding Sheppard Software for a fun way of learning.