Menu

Pre-K Math skils.. Where should we be?

dontknow

Not sure how to best ask / explain this but here it goes.

What is an acceptable level for a 4.5 year old in regards to numbers and perhaps a little math?

Here’s what our daughter can do:

• Identify numbers by sight 100% of the time up to 20 and some times (about 50% of the time) to 25.
  • Can count up to 50 orally by ones.
  • Can count up to 100 orally by tens.
  • Can write the numbers freehand from 1 – 10 on her own when asked with no guidance.
  • Can do various “small†math problems such as take one or two away and add one or two more.

My question is what is an acceptable base line by your standards for someone this age? We are trying to assess where we (she) is on the baseline and if we need more emphasis on numbers and math.

Language, she is fine and she is now capable of reading about 15 books on her own such as the ‘Biscuit’ series among others. ELA is not the issue we are focusing on but I’m giving the brief recap in the event someone is wondering.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

It sounds like she is right on target. I taught Head Start. Our kids needed to be able to recognize and count to 30 forwards and back by the end of the year. They also needed to be able to do very simple addition and subtraction. ie... I have 3 toy cars and my friend gives me one more. How many do I have?

Yep, I agree with the others. There isn't much that a child really needs to know before starting K math. Counting and recognizing to 20 is a nice bonus. The biggest thing is the developmental ability to learn simple math (counting, writing numbers, simple adding, skip counting). Your daughter is definitely there and is currently able to do K-level math. :) Don't worry about her in the least! :)

When I taught KG, I would be thrilled with a student entering my class with those skills.

Does she know all her shapes? Colors? (I ask because you would be surprised how many kids entered my class not knowing those!)

Maybe work on patterns beyond ABABAB (examples: ABBABB, AABBAABB etc.)

Also the calendar and sequencing events would be another set of skills to work on.

Well, first to all of you, thank you for taking the time to respond. You have helped to reassure me (us) that she's in a good place currently. We do keep working with her on these skills but not every day to drive her crazy at this age. Our intentions are not to stop either though.

When I taught KG, I would be thrilled with a student entering my class with those skills.

Does she know all her shapes? Colors? (I ask because you would be surprised how many kids entered my class not knowing those!)

Maybe work on patterns beyond ABABAB (examples: ABBABB, AABBAABB etc.)

Also the calendar and sequencing events would be another set of skills to work on.

Yes, shapes, colors, using scissors have all come together by way of really setting up her playroom centered around to her favorite activity - art. She showed signs of enjoying this before 2 years old and we gave her a Step 2 Art Table for her 2 year old birthday which she still loves to this very day. It's by far the most widely used thing she has.

She understands calendar's somewhat. Meaning, she can name and identify the seasons and weather surrounding each. She knows days of the week and months, though I'm fairly certain she can't list the 12 months in proper order.

Patterns are something that I think she may be lacking most. Thanks for bringing that up.

Sounds like she has done most of the K math taught in my son's previous school. Really, I expect my kids to be able to count to 10 and write the numbers before starting K level math (which they've usually done at age 4). You definitely have nothing to worry about.

That is good for a 4.5 year old. Just keep doing what you are doing and build from there. I am working on that with my 4 year old now and my 6 year old in kindergarten isn't much ahead of that because I have been neglecting working on math with her. I started a little late with her but I am starting to be focused in teaching her math skills and spending more time on that.

Thanks again all for the reassurance... Your input and comments are highly appreciated.

That sounds like she is finishing up basic k math. Is she doing k level Lang too? If so, you may end up placing her in 1st grade level work.

I'm going to have to sadly or embarassingly admit that I'm unsure what K level Lang is. Sorry.

I'm going to have to sadly or embarassingly admit that I'm unsure what K level Lang is. Sorry.

K level Language Arts - reading and writing.

In K, kids typically learn how to sound out CVC words and maybe some sight words (in school, they're heavy on the Dolch list). They learn to write letters, then words, then maybe copy a sentence by the end of the year. If your DD is reading Biscuit books, she's solidly past K level reading. :)

My oldest went into K knowing all the "K stuff", and when I pulled him out of school to homeschool (halfway through first grade), I just found the level he was really at in each subject and went from there. Now he is in 3rd grade and has nothing with a "3" on it. I have a feeling your DD will be like that as well. ;)

K level Language Arts - reading and writing.

In K, kids typically learn how to sound out CVC words and maybe some sight words (in school, they're heavy on the Dolch list). They learn to write letters, then words, then maybe copy a sentence by the end of the year. If your DD is reading Biscuit books, she's solidly past K level reading. :)

My oldest went into K knowing all the "K stuff", and when I pulled him out of school to homeschool (halfway through first grade), I just found the level he was really at in each subject and went from there. Now he is in 3rd grade and has nothing with a "3" on it. I have a feeling your DD will be like that as well. ;)

Gottcha and thank you for the clarification.

Fortunately she's already writing sentences on her own within the context of her crafts (she likes to make cards). For example, this past weekend she came up to us with a card that said "I love you Mom and Dad." Every letter was legible and all words were correctly spelled.

She has been copying and saying many of the words from the Doch Pre-Primer list for the last few months. She also knows many (not all) of from the Dolch Primer list as well.

Again, I'm unsure what any of this is going to mean in K. Her preschool teacher really doesn't make mention of her current skills and though we question how she's doing, most what we get is "Oh... good..." Doesn't really give us much to go on. We hope next years teacher can provide a deeper level of insight.

Thanks again!