Menu

WTM Runners - Question about getting faster. Is it necessary?

Lisa R.

Thanks to this forum, I was introduced to Couch to 5K. I did the program six years ago, and I've been jogging every week ever since then. However, I am slow. When running 3 miles, I average about 13 minute miles. Is that a problem?

My goal is to job three times a week for 45 minutes. Most weeks, I am able to do this.

I am in my mid-40s. Even though I did little exercising prior to this, I've found jogging seems to suit me. Once my body adjusted to jogging, I don't have aches or soreness after exercising. Every once in awhile, I'll jog for one hour. I do have some mild lower back soreness, but it goes away after a couple of hours.

The only surface I have to jog on is concrete sidewalks. There are not dirt or asphalt trails available. I do not have a treadmill or a desire to get one. I don't mind jogging outdoors year-round, but I can barely stand to be on a treadmill for longer than 30 minutes--even with music or a television to distract.

I am cautious about hurting myself. I feel good that I've been exercising on hard surfaces for this long without having soreness in knees or ankles. I'm afraid that If I push myself more, I may have an injury. I don't know if this is rational or not.

I'm also not a very competitive person, so the idea of pushing myself to run faster is...just not very motivating to me. As silly as this sounds, I just feel a huge sense of accomplishment that I can jog continuously for 45 minutes.

People have mentioned doing sprints or mixing in cross training. That sounds very unappealing to me. I'm in a rut--and I kind of like it. It works for me. I just keep feeling that I'm slower than I should be.

What would be the advantage to trying to run faster? Should I be satisfied with my speed? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of keeping up my current workout vs. changing it?

If you are satisfied with your speed, be happy and don't worry about it!

I worry about my speed. The only way to get faster is to go faster. Some sprints. Some bouts of running faster mixed in the middle called a fartlek. Some just running faster. I've been doing all these things. And through getting in better shape, I've gone from 12 minutes miles when completely out of shape, to 9:30 miles when trying a little to 9 minute miles when I'm pushing it. But even with all this, you have to have days where you aren't pushing the run, you are just out there to run.

I say you sound happy with where you are so don't worry about it!

The only reason I would attempt to get faster in your instance is because you always run on the hardest surface out there. The speedier one is, the less one's joints are bearing the full weight is how a couple of folks who've studied sports medicine have put it to me.

That being said, it doesn't sound like your routine is taking any toll on you, so, if you have no reason to change, then I wouldn't worry about what other people have said to you.

Happy running!!!

I'm going to depart a little bit from the advice you've gotten so far. :leaving: Don't throw tomatoes. :) There is a reason why it is beneficial to run faster, speaking in health terms. If you are running along at a low rate of intensity, it doesn't improve your cardio fitness as much as regular exercise at a higher intensity does. It's more beneficial than sitting on the couch, of course, but the recommendations are moderate to high intensity for at least an hour and a half total time per week.

I'm not competitive, either, so saying, "Oh, I want to place for my age category in a 5K" doesn't do much for me. What motivates me to run at a higher intensity is that I want to keep improving my fitness level. This will not happen if I don't work out at a "reach" level. So - there's my little 2 cents on the matter. :)

I'm going to depart a little bit from the advice you've gotten so far. :leaving: Don't throw tomatoes. :) There is a reason why it is beneficial to run faster, speaking in health terms. If you are running along at a low rate of intensity, it doesn't improve your cardio fitness as much as regular exercise at a higher intensity does. It's more beneficial than sitting on the couch, of course, but the recommendations are moderate to high intensity for at least an hour and a half total time per week.

. :)

Well, here's the deal: I do feel like I have a moderate to high intensity even going at my slow pace. I used to wear a heart monitor, and it would read in the 160s once I was warmed up and running awhile. Resting heart rate is 60 or so, I think.

I've read that the body gets used to the exercise, and that is why it is beneficial to vary intensity and exercise. But, I've looked at heart rates and intensity tables, and it seems like the intensity is high based on the monitor. I paid for a nice monitor too. (I felt like I could justify it since I'm not spending any money on gym memberships anymore.)

I would think that my heart rate would start coming down a little since I've been running so long. I finally stopped wearing it since the numbers stayed the same from day to day, month to month.

Well, here's the deal: I do feel like I have a moderate to high intensity even going at my slow pace. I used to wear a heart monitor, and it would read in the 160s once I was warmed up and running awhile. Resting heart rate is 60 or so, I think.

I've read that the body gets used to the exercise, and that is why it is beneficial to vary intensity and exercise. But, I've looked at heart rates and intensity tables, and it seems like the intensity is high based on the monitor. I paid for a nice monitor too. (I felt like I could justify it since I'm not spending any money on gym memberships anymore.)

I would think that my heart rate would start coming down a little since I've been running so long. I finally stopped wearing it since the numbers stayed the same from day to day, month to month.

It is true that the body gets used to the exercise and that is (one reason) why it's beneficial to vary intensity and exercise. This is good in that it means your cardiovascular system has trained for the work and is thus stronger.

Do you think it is moderate to high intensity not based on the monitor? Substantial sweating, breathing harder, feeling spent afterwards, for example?

I think it only matters if it matters to you. If you're out running, you're moving your body and that's healthy. I like to challenge myself, so I do try to get faster or set time goals for myself. (Or at least I used to before I hurt my ankle and decided to take a healing break.) I think it's most important to exercise in a way that is enjoyable to YOU, so that you will continue to do so. JMHO, YMMV :)